BDH

Canon ir3235 "Fixing Film" lifespan

Folks -

I'm hoping for some expert guidance on what has become a really vexing problem for us.

Short version of the question: What's the normal lifespan for the fixing film on a Canon ir3235?

Longer version:

I'm the admin director for an American organization with offices in Burkina Faso, and we've got several of the ir3235 copiers that we bought from the (one and only) local Canon dealer.

We average around 5,000 pages per month on each these copiers. But given the climate here - hot, and lots of dust one part of the year and lots of humidity the other part of the year, not to mention the quality of the electric utility here leaves something to be desired. So they don't have any easy life.

But every single time (and I think we're up to 3 so far this year on one of the units) there is a problem and we call the local Canon dealer, among all the other work they claim it needs they have us replacing the "fixing film". The part alone is running $250 USD - and while things are expensive here, I've got the feeling I'm being taken for a ride on this. I have asked for them to show me the old parts, and indeed they come up with plastic tube that looks warn and warped, but is this really supposed to be a "consumable" part? This seems odd for what I would (as a computer guy) consider part of the fuser assembly - it seems like it would eventually maybe wear out, but either they're just dumping parts on me, or there's something that's causing accelerated wear here that's not getting fixed, and we're just treating the symptom?

Given these guys are the only game in town, it's hard to go seek a second local opinion, so I'm hoping you all can give me more background for the next round with them.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you all can provide.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Canon ir3235 "Fixing Film" lifespan

Quote Originally Posted by BDH View Post
    Folks -

I'm hoping for some expert guidance on what has become a really vexing problem for us.

Short version of the question: What's the normal lifespan for the fixing film on a Canon ir3235?

Longer version:

I'm the admin director for an American organization with offices in Burkina Faso, and we've got several of the ir3235 copiers that we bought from the (one and only) local Canon dealer.

We average around 5,000 pages per month on each these copiers. But given the climate here - hot, and lots of dust one part of the year and lots of humidity the other part of the year, not to mention the quality of the electric utility here leaves something to be desired. So they don't have any easy life.

But every single time (and I think we're up to 3 so far this year on one of the units) there is a problem and we call the local Canon dealer, among all the other work they claim it needs they have us replacing the "fixing film". The part alone is running $250 USD - and while things are expensive here, I've got the feeling I'm being taken for a ride on this. I have asked for them to show me the old parts, and indeed they come up with plastic tube that looks warn and warped, but is this really supposed to be a "consumable" part? This seems odd for what I would (as a computer guy) consider part of the fuser assembly - it seems like it would eventually maybe wear out, but either they're just dumping parts on me, or there's something that's causing accelerated wear here that's not getting fixed, and we're just treating the symptom?

Given these guys are the only game in town, it's hard to go seek a second local opinion, so I'm hoping you all can give me more background for the next round with them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only techs in town/ customer "BE VERY AWARE"

imageRUNNER 3235/3235i
    Monthly Copy / Print Volume> Up to 130,000 copies/
    Optimum Performance Range is> 10,000-45,000 copies

First > u or someone needs to be on hand to witness the removal of FIX unit for inspection

What exactly are your issues on the Printer > Jams,Copy Quality,Errors

Does it tear and generate a E007 code.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    These Canon OEM part yield figures below are in a perfect world & perfect conditions/
    there are many things that effect part yield --

& third party non-OEM parts have many issues

Consumable Parts are defined as those parts having a limited yield that will be reached during a customer’s specific machine operation and should be replaced as needed. Examples of consumable parts may include but are not limited to feed rollers, cleaner blades, etc. The consumable parts provided below show an estimated yield to assist in the initial parts/supplies planning.
    Note: All consumable parts shown in the below tables are for reference purposes only and are subject to change without notice.

* Value yield is based on LTR sized paper.

-Transfer Charging Roller FC5-1121-000 / 150,000
    -Separation Static Eliminator FL2-0247-000 / 150,000
    -Pickup Roller FB6-3405-000 / 120,000
    -Feed Roller FC6-7083-000 / 120,000
    -Separation Roller FC6-6661-000 / 120,000
    -Developing Cylinder FL2-0376000 / 480,000

-Fixing Film Unit

FM3-7068-000 / 150,000 imageRUNNER 3225
    FM3-7070-000 / 240,000 imageRUNNER 3245/3235
    150,000 / imageRUNNER 3230

-Waste Toner Box= FM2-0303-000
    75,000 imageRUNNER 3230/3225
    85,000 imageRUNNER 3245/3235

-Pressure Roller

FC7-0242-000 150,000 imageRUNNER 3230/3225
    FC5-7207-010 240,000 imageRUNNER 3245/3235

-Fixing Heat Discharge Roller
    FB5-4931-000
    240,000 imageRUNNER 3245/3235
    150,000 imageRUNNER 3230/3225

-Stack Bypass Separation Pad
    FC7-9481-000 240,000
    -Manual Feed Pick-up Roller FB1-8581-000 240,000

-Exhaust Fan Filter
    FM3-9441-000
    150,000 imageRUNNER 3230/3225
    240,000 imageRUNNER 3245/3235

-Pressure Roller Shaft Support
    RS5-1446-000
    300,000 imageRUNNER 3225
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

hi there,

our company in ireland would charge the customer about 400-450 euros for the whole fixing assy, the fixing film is an expensive item and we usually get around 150,000 A4 prints from a fixing assy, what you could do is change the heat sink roller, when you see it getting really caked in toner, if it gets too thick in toner it will damage the fixing film. I think if i remember canons average monthly volume is about 14k clicks....i just did a quick search and found that fixing film for 160 dollars...alot cheaper and cheaper the more you buy!

Copier Parts|Used Copier Parts|Discount Copier Parts|CANON FIXING FILM ASSEMBLY|FM2-0358-000

Folks -

Longer version:

Fuser film IR3030/3035/3045/3230/3235/3245 universal, part no is FM2-1812-film, A-grade compatible quality, very reasonable price.

copier part supplier

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

The first question id ask is what was the fault with the machine for you to call out the engineer? Was there a fault with the machine or was it just a simple "service request"
    The fixing film unit is good for 250,000 prints/copies, if they are being replaced at less than 150,000 i'd be suspicious!
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

BDH

Thanks folks for the helpful info - we're not getting nearly that many copies through this thing before we are being told to replace these types of parts.

The error we're getting is: E000007-0000 -

photo.JPG

Searching this forum does seem to indicate issues with the fixing film may be related to this error. But if we're seeing it every few months, i wonder if we're treating the symptom and not the cause?

When called out for this error, they propose to fix it they must replace:

Fixing Film
    Paper takeup roller
    Separation roller
    Power Roller(?)
    Housing, Bearing
    Pressure roller

Most of these parts cost less than $10, except for the film as noted above and the pressure roller which they want about $70 for.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Thanks folks for the helpful info - we're not getting nearly that many copies through this thing before we are being told to replace these types of parts.

photo.JPG

Searching this forum does seem to indicate issues with the fixing film may be related to this error. But if we're seeing it every few months, i wonder if we're treating the symptom and not the cause?

Fixing Film
    Paper takeup roller
    Separation roller
    Power Roller(?)
    Housing, Bearing
    Pressure roller

Most of these parts cost less than $10, except for the film as noted above and the pressure roller which they want about $70 for.
    ================================================== ==============
    make sure the correct FIX UNIT is installed >>>if not u will experience E007 & toner buildup on fuser cleaner roller.

Fixing Assembly part number FM3-7066-000 is used for the iR3245/3235/3230 models. ]

is the Fix Film -"TORN" when removed ?

if FIX UNIT is old u could have uneven pressure between FILM & ROLLER>this will cause Film ti track improperly until it tears and generates a E007 code.

READ THIS ATTACH PUB & GIVE TO REPAIR TECH

**Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Fixing Film
    Paper takeup roller
    Separation roller
    Power Roller(?)
    Housing, Bearing
    Pressure roller
    They need to replace
    FB5-4931-000 ROLLER, FIXING HEATSINK

This is the cleaning roller and this attracts the toner and after a while gets caked in the stuff.

As mentioned earlier it should be replaced often or will damage other more expensive parts.

Ask to see this roller when they visit and even suggest why they don't consider it a durable part
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Personally I simply remove those heak sink rollers, I find machine runs a lot better & less random E003 errors etc
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

photo.JPG

Fixing Film
    Paper takeup roller
    Separation roller
    Power Roller(?)
    Housing, Bearing
    Pressure roller

From your initial post, if it's true that those guys are the 'only bull in the kraal' there, then they are really having a field day ; 'enjoying' the advantage of a complete monopoly! Secondly it appears they don't replace the complete Fixing Film UNIT, but only the cylindrical film, for the price or cost of a whole fixing film UNIT. If that be the case, then it would be theft or cheating of the highest order!
    As some one who live in this part of the world (Uganda), and periodically travel to the neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo to service copiers and printers, I would imagine the conditions in the two countries are not very different. The hot and humid weather there could contribute to the fixing film GREASE drying up, hence affecting its smooth rotation, resulting into error code E0007..0000, an honest tech would simply Re-lubricate the unit and that would do the job.
    The fixing film alone should not be more than $45 for a non OEM. If I may advise, why can't your organization buy from China in bulk, or a dozen of them and stock? Google n search, you could even get it as cheap as $10..... to your office. At $250 for a mere fixing film, not the whole unit, you are being cheated!