Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Looking for Firmware for Canon iR 3235i, HD Format, and SST Config Files

I've posted here in the past and had great success, so here goes again!

I've got a Canon iR 3235i which is now used as like the main fax unit (it has the double G3 upgrade in it). Unfortunately, the hard drive died hard. I tried recovering the HDD using tools like SpinRite but no success.

At this point the best option seems to be a new 60GB SATA HDD (yes, this is one of the newer units that was SATA from the factory). I've got SST 4.43 but I don't have the Firmware. I tried the HD Format tool that I used to get my iR Advance C5045 back up and running but it didn't work. I'm figuring I need to create an entire new USB key aimed at the iR 3235i and can't re-use the one I have set up for the C5045.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Looking for Firmware for Canon iR 3235i, HD Format, and SST Config Files

Quote Originally Posted by hydrosam View Post
    I've posted here in the past and had great success, so here goes again!

I've got a Canon iR 3235i which is now used as like the main fax unit (it has the double G3 upgrade in it). Unfortunately, the hard drive died hard. I tried recovering the HDD using tools like SpinRite but no success.

At this point the best option seems to be a new 60GB SATA HDD (yes, this is one of the newer units that was SATA from the factory). I've got SST 4.43 but I don't have the Firmware. I tried the HD Format tool that I used to get my iR Advance C5045 back up and running but it didn't work. I'm figuring I need to create an entire new USB key aimed at the iR 3235i and can't re-use the one I have set up for the C5045.
    =================================================

u can only format with the series models listed HDFormat.ift file

& this models HDFormat.ift file is encrypted , so u are not able to Modify the HDDDescriptor file for a non-OEM HDD-

imageRUNNER 3245 / 3235 / 3230 / 3225

Why does the System Software contain a format file, if formatting is not supported on this series -

The HDD on this series should not be formatted, unless a HDD Data Encryption Kit-B5 is being installed in the machine.
    The installation instructions for the Encryption Kit do tell you to format the HDD. The instruction are correct; and it is ok to format the HDD, only during the installation of the HDD Data Encryption Kit-B5.

Note:
    Be sure that the Encryption Board was installed in the machine prior to formatting the HDD.
    When the Encryption Board is installed in the machine and the machine is turned on an E602 will occur. At this point, turn the machine off and power back up in Download Mode. Next, format the drive and load the system software .

Points to Note at Hard Disk Failure: “*Please Read Note”
    When any hard disk failure occurs on the existing models, you can enter Safe mode by pressing the 2 and 8 keys simultaneously and write the firmware by formatting the hard disk. Nothing is written in the hard disk for service parts, so such a hard disk can be used in common between multiple models.
    The machine’s BIOS (equivalent to the conventional Boot ROM) has a function which writes the program stored in the hard disk to the main memory and activates the main CPU, but does not have the functions to format and write the firmware. Like existing models, this machine can start in Safe mode by pressing the 2 and 8 keys simultaneously, but the program needs to be stored in the hard disk. For some reasons, if you cannot start in Safe mode by pressing the 2 and 8 keys simultaneously, you will need to replace the hard disk.

The machine’s hard disk service part has the minimum firmware written on it which enables downloading, so the hard disk is dedicated to this machine. Only the program for downloading is written in the hard disk, so make sure to download the latest firmware after replacing the hard disk. At this time, please use the Safe mode.

*Note: Unlike the conventional method, “Format ALL” is not necessary after replacing
    the hard disk. The current hard disk should NOT be formatted. If the current hard disk drive is formatted, replacement of that hard disk drive is required.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

My plan was to try to do a HDD-model match when buying a replacement HDD. Alternatively, if I cloned the MBR and a few partitions from the C5045 onto a 60GB HDD, maybe that would fool the system into booting enough to use the SST upgrade mode to overwrite with 3235i FW?

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    =================================================

u can only format with the series models listed HDFormat.ift file

& this models HDFormat.ift file is encrypted , so u are not able to Modify the HDDDescriptor file for a non-OEM HDD

Technician

So is my only viable option to buy a replacement HDD from Canon?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydrosam View Post
    So is my only viable option to buy a replacement HDD from Canon?

or search #part online

FM3-5634-000
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**