Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    IPF 8300S "close carriage cover"

Thumbs up IPF 8300S "close carriage cover"

Customer has some familiarity with machine and states that cover is closed and that flap is intact and is engaged in sensor. I plan on going today or tomorrow to enter service mode and check sensor.

The customer was printing a job at the time and the carriage stopped while in cycle and the message then appeared. The customer cannot turn machine off from control panel and must remove power cord to do so.

Does this sound like a power supply problem or main board issue. I did not see any fuses on power supply when i looked online. Please advise on this problem. Your help is very much appreciated. Frank/ActionPhotocopy

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: IPF 8300S "close carriage cover"

1. Turn it on in SM and see if the error clears or not.
    2. If not - remove both heads and turn it on in SM to see if error clears.
    3. Under I/O check for that sensor while manually activating the sensor.

Thumbs up Re: IPF 8300S "close carriage cover"

Thank you. If , as customer says, the machine can only be turned off by pulling power cord, then i may have to get customer to plug in machine while i hold down the service mode keys if that will work. Does this normally cause this kind of lockout? That's why i thought it might be a board problem. Frank

Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

Had this happen on an iPF8400 that we had in showroom.

Ended up being main controller.

Check the fuses on the board, we found a few that were blown. Can't recall the exact fuses, but just bust our your meter.

Cheers

PS - Canon were supposed to issue a bulletin about this because originally they had some bad boards with the 9400 only. Turned out to be some others as well.

Thumbs up Re: IPF 8300S "close carriage cover"

Thank you. Customer told me to hold off til wednesday. Frank

i_am_printing

I'm having the same issue on my very new iPG9400s and would appreciate some input on identifying the fuses on the board that should be checked.

Thx

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i_am_printing View Post
    I'm having the same issue on my very new iPG9400s and would appreciate some input on identifying the fuses on the board that should be checked.
    Thx

are you a tech with the service manual and KNOW how to use a multimeter or are you an end user? what troubleshooting skills do you have and do you have the service manual.

the reason for my question is:

IF you are a tech...and HAVE the service it is clearly covered in the P2P where the test points are.

-= IF =- you do not fit the above parameters...then keep your hands off and hire QUALIFIED Technician handle your problem.

in my 30+ years in the industry... I have cleaned up more messes by users that THINK they have the skills to accomplish what I can do, and then they STILL had to call ME to get their shit fixed.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i_am_printing View Post
    Thx

are you a tech with the service manual and KNOW how to use a multimeter or are you an end user? what troubleshooting skills do you have and do you have the service manual?

the reason for my question is:

IF you are a tech...and HAVE the service it is clearly covered in the P2P where the test points are.

-= IF =- you do not fit the above parameters...then keep your hands off and hire QUALIFIED Technician handle your problem.

in my 30+ years in the industry... I have cleaned up more messes from users that THINK they have the skills to accomplish what I can do, and then they STILL had to call ME to get their shit fixed.

i_am_printing

Thanks for the reply but no I am not a tech.

I had a Canon Tech in my shop today and he indicated they were not allowed to test the boards, only replace them at a cost of $1,346.84. Notwithstanding the fact he agreed only a few "fuses" on the board could be bad.

I do however have the service manual and I do know how to use a multimeter and have somewhat intermediate skills with electrical matters. Was told a few years ago I needed an $11,000 board for my Polar cutter and I ended up repairing the board with $26.00 worth of parts from radio shack.

I do appreciate your input and value your experience and knowledge. But if I have to replace the board anyway I can't possibly do it any harm. In my 18+ years as a commercial printer I can't count the mega thousands of bucks I've saved by taking the initiative to repair my offset press, cutters, folders, uv coating machine, etc.

Thank you for any input you may be able to provide

Thank You!
    Last edited by i_am_printing; 07-12-2018 at 04:28 AM.