Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Technician

IR Image Runner 3035 only printing bottom half of page

Hi - Yesterday I attempted to clean some streaks from printouts. I removed the drum unit, attempted to remove the developer unit, didn't want to deal with the wires, and put everything back. (I did blow air on the drum when outside the machine). Well, the good news is the vertical line is gone. The bad news is only the bottom half of the page now prints (perfectly). (the pages print horizontally). I am wondering what happened - is the drum not getting a charge on the upper part? if the corona wires were damaged, I imagine I'd get no image. I can't imagine the developer unit is transferring to just 1/2 the roller and not the other. I had the drum out (florescent light) for maybe 5 minutes. I figured the drum was about due for replacement anyway, but I'd believe it to be the culprit if there was spotty imaging at various parts and not 1/2 completely missing.

for the printouts (whether a copy or a print of a page), the bottom half is perfect. At about the mid point it lightens intermittently, and then fades away towards the top. 10 copies or prints are identical - it is exactly the same on each sheet.
    I called my local tech - the machine is not mine, I can only use it about 4 more months so I don't want to sink a lot of money in - I would replace the drum unit as a gamble for a machine I won't use after 4 months - but I really don't want to do full blown service call in which it might be some significant repairs.

again, before I opened it, it worked fine except for a streak that is now gone. might I have damaged something pulling the drum out, that a new drum would remedy? I can upload images of the pages if that would help.

Many many thanks!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Luther's Avatar

Re: IR Image Runner 3035 only printing bottom half of page

are you sure you locked the developer unit back in and installed the screw that holds the blue release lever in the locked position?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    are you sure you locked the developer unit back in and installed the screw that holds the blue release lever in the locked position?
    Luther, many thanks for the reply. I was actually quite careful to rotate the lever back into place and lock it with the screw. In complete candor, when I attempted to put the drum unit back the first time I had for some reason moved the lever to the locked position, so I couldn't figure out why the unit wouldn't go back in - even with a LITTLE elbow grease. Once I unlocked the lever, I was able to insert it smoothly - I don't know if that did anything to the unit.
    This morning, I again took it out and I closely inspected it - and it looked fine - the wiper blade appeared fine, no visible scratches or obvious damage.
    I doubt the few minutes it was out was affected by the florescent lights - but at the same time since we were having some image issues, and I don't think the drum was replaced in ages, it might have been reaching end of life.
    I'd happily spring for a new (or refurbed) drum assembly if I thought that would solve the issue. I will only have use of the unit for another 4 months - and do have other equipment, but this unit is really conveniently located before we move (and have to give it up to the landlord who can then deal with it).
    again, many thanks!!!!!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

U know can air has chemical in it.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    U know can air has chemical in it.
    thank you for the reply Teckat. Everything I've read says to use blown compressed air (from a can) - do you think the contents of the can might have damaged the drum? either way, does it seem the drum is bad? i'll gamble $100 to replace it - I'd rather not dump real money into the machine.
    Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

When you removed the drum did you open the right main door first? the transfer roller springs may have come out of position.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    When you removed the drum did you open the right main door first? the transfer roller springs may have come out of position.
    Skynet, thank you for the response (and please don't terminate me). I didn't even consider checking the transfer roller (doh!) - I did open the right hand door to relieve pressure and avoid scratching. But, just in case that is on track, I just checked the transfer roller assembly - from what I could tell, everything is fine - there appears to be no uneven gaps, the "springiness" is uniform throughout (including the top, bottom, etc.)

Might it be something else? my guess is that it is the drum (but again, why the top half died is a shocker to me). I equally sprayed the thing with air. I can't think of any reason I'm getting NO imaging on the top half - whether copying (optics) or printing -

I'm still thinking drum unless someone has another idea, which I heartedly welcome. I can also send photos of the unit, paper, etc. - thank you so very much!

Technician

As a follow up, does it seem reasonable to try the replacement drum unit, or a folly? thanks again.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by GaryGarland View Post
    As a follow up, does it seem reasonable to try the replacement drum unit, or a folly? thanks again.
    Hi All,
    I've successfully determined it is not the drum - by using a brand new drum with the same issue.
    I just ran a bunch of copies and stopped them part-way - and I could see the drum (I since swapped old the new one back for the old one) and I could see there was text on the bottom half of the drum, and NOTHING on the top part.
    there is that white piece along the top of the drum that I think is part of the developer assembly - is that the equivalent of corona wires? does it impart the charge to the drum? might that be the culprit? if I can't get anywhere, i'll have to put this machine out to pasture.
    again, any and all help appreciated - thank you.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Machine doesn't use wires. The charge roller is in the drum unit. If there's no image on the drum, you probably have a developer unit issue. There is a plastic frame mounted above the drum I believe that has a row of lights on it. Did you possibly knock that out of place?