Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

IR ADV C5030 Booklet with Cover

I am trying to print a booklet, with a printed cover, folded, and saddle stitched, on a Image Runner Advance C5030. I am printing from a Mac.

I can get it to print a stitched booklet. I can also get it to include a cover from the multipurpose tray. While the printer will slow down and pause to heat up the fuser for the heavier paper, the printer refuses to print anything on the said cover. On my older printer with a Fiery server, i can specify which covers are printed. Where can i find this option in the mac print driver?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: IR ADV C5030 Booklet with Cover

Quote Originally Posted by thadwald View Post
    I am trying to print a booklet, with a printed cover, folded, and saddle stitched, on a Image Runner Advance C5030. I am printing from a Mac.

I can get it to print a stitched booklet. I can also get it to include a cover from the multipurpose tray. While the printer will slow down and pause to heat up the fuser for the heavier paper, the printer refuses to print anything on the said cover. On my older printer with a Fiery server, i can specify which covers are printed. Where can i find this option in the mac print driver?
    ============================

Cover Pages
    In the Cover Pages menu, you can set Front Cover printing and Back Cover printing.

mac driver.jpg

PRINTING FROM Macintosh.pdf
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by teckat; 12-19-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    ============================

Cover Pages
    In the Cover Pages menu, you can set Front Cover printing and Back Cover printing.

mac driver.jpg

PRINTING FROM Macintosh.pdf

It seems my driver does not have those options. I am running Yosemite and I have the latest UFRII driver from the Canon USA website (version 10.06.00)
    Here's what I see:

Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 4.52.12 PM.jpg

I found some cover options under the paper source menu. From here I can specify the source of back and front covers, and I can specify which covers are printed. However, when I do this, the booklet option under the finishing menu disables.

When I first specify booklet under finishing, it allows me to pick a front cover but the "Print On [back/front cover]" options are disabled, as is the "Back Cover" option. I presume that the back cover disables because the back and front cover are physically the same sheet of paper.

What else can I try?

OS X Yosemite:

Update or change printer software
    Most printers are compatible with OS X. When you add a printer, OS X automatically uses AirPrint or downloads a printer’s software (also called a printer driver).

If you can’t use a printer you already added, or if the Print dialog doesn’t have settings for all its features, you can change its setup. You can choose to use different printer software from Apple, or to use AirPrint (if the printer supports it).

Re-add your printer with a different set up
    Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.

Select your printer in the list, then click Remove .

Click Add , and if a pop-up menu appears, choose Add Printer or Scanner.

A dialog appears listing any Bonjour, IP, shared, and Open Directory printers on your local network. It may take a minute or two for your printer to appear.

Select your printer when it appears in the list, then do one of the following:

Use AirPrint: Click the Use pop-up menu, then choose AirPrint (or Secure AirPrint). If AirPrint isn’t in the pop-up menu, your printer doesn’t support it.

Use printer software installed on your Mac or downloaded from Apple: Click the Use pop-up menu, then choose Select Software.

Use printer software from a file on your Mac: Click the Use pop-up menu, then choose Other. Select the file, then click Add.

Update your printer software
    If your printer isn’t using AirPrint, you can use Software Update to download the latest software. If you don’t do this, you may see a message that software isn’t available when you connect your printer.

Choose Apple menu > App Store, then click Updates.

Install any software updates listed for your printer.

If software for your printer isn’t available using Software Update, you can contact the manufacturer for information. It may be that your printer isn’t compatible with OS X. To check, see Apple Support article Printer and scanner software available for download.

If you install printer software that you didn’t get from Apple, your printer’s software may not be updated automatically when you use Software Update.

: How to Print a Booklet from Mac OS X
    =:O
    How a booklet is printed from the Mac OS X driver*

:-))
    The Mac OS X printer driver

Follow the steps below to get a booklet to output properly.

*Note this document will show how to get the booklet to print from Adobe InDesign, Adobe Reader, and Microsoft Word. Other applications used for printing booklets should be very similar to one of these.

*Applications that take total control of the page layout like Microsoft Publisher and Adobe InDesign will not work if the document is designed as a booklet inside the application, so select the setting for single pages in the application.

*This document assumes that the imageRUNNER ADVANCE print driver is already installed and the Printer Utility has been run to get the correct printer configuration and paper settings.

I. Adobe InDesign

1. In Adobe InDesign, make sure that when the document is created, the checkbox for Facing Pages is unchecked .

2. The InDesign Pages tool should look be a simple list.

3. Once the document is created and it is ready for printing, Click File, and then Print. (Do not select Print Booklet.) This will bring up the InDesign print interface. To get to the print driver interface, click on the Printer button at the bottom.

4. This is the print Driver interface. Leave everything default here and click on the drop down menu that shows Layout and select Finishing.

5. Select the Print Style drop down menu and choose Booklet Printing.

6. From the Booklet... button the Right binding or Left binding can be chosen; and from the Saddle Stitch Setting the choices are None; Fold, Fold + Saddle Stitch. These choices do depend on the finisher installed.

7. Finally, click Print in the print driver and then click Print in the InDesign interface and the document will be sent to the printer.

----------------------------------

II. Adobe Acrobat

1. Open a file in Adobe Acrobat; click File, then Print. To get to the print driver interface, click on the Printer button at the bottom.

2. Click on the drop down menu that shows Layout and select Finishing.

3. Click on the 2-sided Printing drop down menu and choose Booklet Printing.

4. Here the booklet can be set up using the Booklet and Saddle Stitch Settings. Right binding or Left binding can be chosen; and from the Saddle Stitch Setting the choices are None; Fold, Fold + Saddle Stitch. These choices do depend on the finisher installed.

5. Once the Booklet settings are configured, click Print to leave the driver interface and click Print again in the Acrobat interface and the booklet will be sent to the printer.

----------------------------------

III. Microsoft Word

1. With a document open in Microsoft Word, click File and Print to open the driver interface.

2. Click the drop down button labeled Copies & Pages and select Finishing.

3. Click on the 2-sided Printing drop down menu and choose Booklet Printing. Set up the booklet with the Booklet and Saddle Stitch Settings. Right binding or Left binding can be chosen; and from the Saddle Stitch Setting the choices are None; Fold, Fold + Saddle Stitch. These choices do depend on the finisher installed.

4. Click Print to send the booklet to the printer.

What else can I try***

Do u have an imagePass B1 connected_?
    If so u need to use a driver for it__

Macintosh OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) Driver for the imagePASS-B1 v1.01
    imagePASS-B1 V1.01 PPD Installer with Plug-in for Macintosh OS X v10.9. It also supports Macintosh OS X v10.6, v10.7, and v10.8.

==========================
    These are for printer without an imagePass
    UFRII_v10.06.00_Mac.zip
    UFRII v10.06.00 Printer Driver for Mac OS X supports; Intel: Mac OS X v10.5.8 to Mac OSX v10.10 IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have installed a prior version of the printer driver, after installing the new version of the printer driver, delete and reinstall the printer in [Print & Fax] or [Print & Scan] of [System Preferences]

PS_v04.04.00_Mac.zip
    PS v04.04.00 Printer Driver for Mac OS X supports; Intel Mac OS X v10.5.8 to Mac OS X v10.10 IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have installed a prior version of the printer driver, after installing the new version of the printer driver, delete and reinstall the printer in [Print & Fax] or [Print & Scan] of [System Preferences

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    What else can I try***

Do u have an imagePass B1 connected_?
    If so u need to use a driver for it__
    I do not have a Fiery print server.

I have tried the following on 3 different computers, all of which are running Yosemite. Two of them are using the Yosemite UFRII driver from the USA Canon website. One of them is using the driver that presumably comes with the OS. I cannot discern a difference between the two drivers. I have also tried it on several machines (C7055, C7065, C5030).

I have since run into additional issues with getting the driver to work in OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)

First of all; what does seem to work:

I can make two sizes of center-fold saddle-stitched booklets;
    1. letter-size page on tabloid paper
    2. statement-size paper on letter paper

If it is not immediately obvious to you, each of these sizes are standard sizes per the printer's list of standard paper sizes, and each page size is half of its corresponding paper size. It does not make sense to make folded booklets any other way.

I can also print anything IF my paper size is one of the standard paper sizes on the printer.

I still have not figured out how to make it print on a separate cover in booklet mode, as I detailed above.

In addition:
    I cannot print ANYTHING with this driver from this OS that does not use a standard paper size. I know how to add irregular paper sizes via the printer panel. I also know how to set up irregular paper sizes from the OS via the print driver or application page setup menu. On a regular (non-booklet) print, using irregular paper size, it will shift the image into the corner, cutting off about 3/4 of the image at the page margin.

I cannot print a legal or a tabloid oversized(12x18) center-fold booklet, both of which are advertised in the printer spec sheet. Each of these sizes require setting up the document as an irregular page size. When an irregular page size is selected, the booklet option is disabled in the print driver.

I suppose I could try to install an earlier driver but I am quite hesitant to do so because I know that OSX10.10 changed the way applications are allowed to access the system(sandboxing), which broke driver compatibility for many printers. For example, printing from a browser usually doesn't work with a pre-osX10.10 driver.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts vigour's Avatar

print your document as single sided letter size to the mailbox and run it from there, you will find booklet in the special features (or something like that) on the lower right corner of the control panel

I know all about Paper Sizes ! > Booklets> Saddle Stitched> Positions

I can make two sizes of center-fold saddle-stitched booklets;
    1. letter-size page on tabloid paper
    2. statement-size paper on letter paper
    u mean Fold Letter R paper to statement size
    "that's Obvious"

As a test> with Legal paper loaded in cassette tray> can u walk up to printer> set four Legal docs in feeder tray> go select Booklet Finishing on panel > & that size , to make a test run from just control panel printing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I cannot print a legal or a tabloid over-sized (12x18) center-fold booklet, both of which are advertised in the printer spec sheet.
    Booklet Finisher C-1/ support sizes
    Paper size A3, B4, A4R, 279mm x 432mm (11 x 17), LGL, LTRR/ 305mm x 457mm (12 x 18)

I cannot print a legal or a tabloid over sized (12x18) center-fold booklet, both of which are advertised in the printer spec sheet.
    Each of these sizes require setting up the document as an irregular page size. When an irregular page size is selected, the booklet option is disabled in the print driver.
    The Yosemite UFRII Driver ??
    Does the Driver Device Preview menu > see/show the correct C5030 set up with Booklet Finisher C-1 OPTION shown & listed

EXAMPLES SHOWN BELOW

DRIVER.jpg

UFRII.jpg
    OPTIONS.jpg
    Last edited by teckat; 02-01-2015 at 05:36 AM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vigour View Post
    print your document as single sided letter size to the mailbox and run it from there, you will find booklet in the special features (or something like that) on the lower right corner of the control panel
    I can already print a booklet straight from the driver if my booklet page size is letter. It prints on tabloid paper. I am also able to do this by printing to the mailbox and then printing from mailbox and selecting booklet at the printer, as per your suggestion.

When I print a half-legal (7 x 8.5) document to the mailbox, I no longer have the booklet option when printing from the mailbox.

Edit: HEY! this solves one of my issues; namely the problem with being able to print on the cover. Thanks.. This should serve as a decent workaround.
    Last edited by thadwald; 02-02-2015 at 12:59 AM.