Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

IR Adv 7055, Diagnose this image problem for me

Please

PG 5 black at 128 density results in the following print:

image.jpg

The streaks are consistent but there is no pattern to the white dots at all--other than the fact that there are about the same number of them on each sheet.
    The black drum meter is at about 331K sheets, which is at about 66% of it's "life". I can't see any visible defects on the drum, nor issues with the developer module.

I ran the wire cleaning procedure a few times, no change..

I have a suspicion that the white spots are the result of one of the wires zapping the drum. Is that possible? If so, what can I try to solve it?

Can a dirty glass between the laser and the drum cause the streaks?

Thanks!
    Last edited by thadwald; 03-04-2015 at 12:43 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts vigour's Avatar

Re: IR Adv 7055, Diagnose this image problem for me

If the lines only show on black and
    If your lead edge is on the left.
    Then you need new corona wire and grid.

Not sure about the spots.
    If you run a lot of coated paper, it is possible to get white spots from the clay residue left behind.
    We are supposed to clean all the guides from vertical pickup to reversal and delivery areas with alcohol soaked wipes.
    I have only seen it once

Quote Originally Posted by thadwald View Post
    Please

PG 5 black at 128 density results in the following print:

image.jpg

The streaks are consistent but there is no pattern to the white dots at all--other than the fact that there are about the same number of them on each sheet.
    The black drum meter is at about 331K sheets, which is at about 66% of it's "life". I can't see any visible defects on the drum, nor issues with the developer module.

I ran the wire cleaning procedure a few times, no change..

I have a suspicion that the white spots are the result of one of the wires zapping the drum. Is that possible? If so, what can I try to solve it?

Can a dirty glass between the laser and the drum cause the streaks?

Thanks!

Hi,

The bands on the page are from your corona assemblies (Primary Charge) ​may need re-wiring, also could be your dev if its life is up, so check the counter, and i would say that the spots are from your Pre-transfer corona assy, check for dirt, also may need to be re-wired.

cheers,
    SAZ911..........

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SAZ911 View Post
    Hi,

The bands on the page are from your corona assemblies (Primary Charge) ​may need re-wiring, also could be your dev if its life is up, so check the counter, and i would say that the spots are from your Pre-transfer corona assy, check for dirt, also may need to be re-wired.

cheers,
    Thanks to both of you for your input. I'm new to this and any information is helpful.
    Could either of you explain how a corona wire or grid can cause streaks or spots?

I had both assemblies out and they looked fine. Also, the manual says not to touch them, so I suppose I will be replacing them.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I agree with the comments regarding primary corona wire being soiled/worn out but a nother possibility could be a problem with a dev that is polluted with hard toner particles inside of it.

We have had quite a few of these toners that have hardened chunks of toner (some quite small in size) in the mix that cause this issue. This will pollute the dev assy, but will eventually work themselves out if there aren't many of them. I would pull out the black developer assy and inspect the surface coating of toner across the entire length of the dev roller for uniformity. sometime there will be a buildup of this hardened toner in behind the dev blade which can also cause the banding you are seeing.

If the dev roller looks slightly void of toner coat in the same area as your banding, remove the upper plastic cover and the dev blade and scoop out the clumped toner behind the blade and run your copies again to test for banding. If you dont get all the hardened toner out, sometimes the band will move.

Also it is very important to never store these toners in a vertical position for nany length of time because the carrier inside the toner will travel to the bottom of the toner causing some of the the specks that you can see in this copy.

Hope this helps,

-freebyrd116

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    IR Adv 7055, Diagnose this image problem for me

the wires can be cleaned with a cloth and alchohol or an eraser works well too. Just don't pinch the wire or push too hard or you will break it, and since you probably have no spools of wire or pre-cut wires...USE CAUTION!

It's not that hard in all honesty. If the grid is soiled and dirty do not use any cloths on it when cleaning. I usually take them to a sink and use soap and water to scrub it down and then rinse with clean water till the soap is gone. Let it air dry before re-installing.

You will also want to wipe down the side shields on the carona unit as well to remove the film from them.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks for the input.

The secondary charge wire caused the streaks. I first tried wiping it using an alcohol soaked pad between the jaws of needle nose pliers. It didn't work. it seems like the surface of the wire was damaged somehow. It had a rough feel to it. I did have a spool of oxidized corona wire on hand, so I was able to replace it, which solved the streak problem. Getting the wire length just right is tricky business!

I also tried to clean the primary charge gill with an alcohol pad, followed by compressed air to get rid of the lint. It didn't work; I still get the white spots, so now I am waiting for a replacement gill.

I did check the developer assembly for rocks. It was actually my first suspicion because the problem seemed to occur shortly after replacing the black toner tank. The developer looked perfectly even across the entire roll, so I ruled that out.

The machine only has about 330K on the meter.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freebyrd116 View Post

Also it is very important to never store these toners in a vertical position for nany length of time because the carrier inside the toner will travel to the bottom of the toner causing some of the the specks that you can see in this copy.

-freebyrd116
    This is interesting. I haven't solved the spotting problem yet. If this turns out to be the problem, what can I do to remedy it? will shaking up the toner do anything for me?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

"if" your problem has been caused by a toner bottle that has had a lot of tiny hard chunks in it it will be difficult to resolve..... The black hopper will be full of the particles and the Dev will also. If you replaced only the Dev and there are still particles n the hopper, it will re-pollute the new black Dev. What have done in the past is run a few hundred solid black prints (pg-5 at 128 or higher) to run a bunch of toner thru the hopper and Dev to help flush the particles out. I have had to remove the Dev and vacuum it out AND replace the black Dev AND toner before at the same time to cure the issue. Did this issue occur when installing a new black toner? Or is the toner bottle near empty? If it's near empty and you shake it you will here sort of a sand/gravel sound in the bottle.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts vigour's Avatar

Are the spots visible on every colour.
    Run PG5 of each colour.

You have not said how much coated paper you run

The main issue with spots is caused by the environment.
    Do additional functions >adjustment > drum clean
    Then Run about 35 PG10 double sided
    see if it clears up

My manual says replace primary charger and grid at 150k
    Not sure why yours says do not touch

Dirt or damage on the charger wires will interfere with the charges going to the drum
    Last edited by vigour; 03-05-2015 at 06:32 AM.