Scan to Mail (canon devices)

Hi All,

Just a quick one on scan to mail.

every once in a while i get a client who doesn't have his own mail server or hosted domain but wants to scan to email. So we go down the route of setting them up with gmail, or outlook ect....

I was just wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for free email providers, that may have some better security and decent reliability.

Thanks guys,
    SAZ911..........

Senior Tech 250+ Posts alex@wocltd.com's Avatar

Re: Scan to Mail (canon devices)

Google has 99.9 sla times and is ls ssl by default - cant think of a reason not to use really?

domz_acuna27

Quote Originally Posted by SAZ911 View Post
    Hi All,

Just a quick one on scan to mail.

every once in a while i get a client who doesn't have his own mail server or hosted domain but wants to scan to email. So we go down the route of setting them up with gmail, or outlook ect....

I was just wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for free email providers, that may have some better security and decent reliability.

Thanks guys,

Try to use the mail server of yahoo. smtp.mail.yahoo.com. Yahoo used SSL connection thats why you must change SMTPTX Port of canon devices.

Man About Town 250+ Posts CanonSco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alex@wocltd.com View Post
    Google has 99.9 sla times and is ls ssl by default - cant think of a reason not to use really?
    Just make sure that you now log into said account and turn on "allow for less secure apps". Otherwise it will bounce.

The above is a little random in my experience though in respect to what accounts are affected by it, so I do it by default on new scanning accounts now.
    Yes, I am a nerd.
    Gaming PC - check. Raspberry Pi - Check. Custom ROM on phone - check. Thick glasses - check.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Is it still necessary to change the SMTPTX port when using gmail?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Man About Town 250+ Posts CanonSco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Is it still necessary to change the SMTPTX port when using gmail?
    In short , yes.

Use SSL port 465 or Start TLS 587

Unless the client is using GoogleApps or are ONLY sending to GMAIL accounts, then you can use port 25 with a SMTP server of aspmx.l.google.com
    Yes, I am a nerd.
    Gaming PC - check. Raspberry Pi - Check. Custom ROM on phone - check. Thick glasses - check.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Keep in mind that your enduser will have to log onto their Gmail account occasionally so that it does not go inactive. The time window seems to be getting shorter.

A few months ago I took a call for failing scan to email. No, ... the call was for "Can't Fax". We had installed the MFP, setting up a new Gmail account just for the purpose, 87 days ago. Naturally I asked the enduser if she had checked the Gmail account. She did not know about the account for scanning. So when I asked her what the password was she naturally had no idea. Neither did the installing IT tech. On the verge of setting up a new account, I browsed through the MFP's menus and by sheer luck, the MFP had a convenient hole in it's security. It let me view the Gmail password.

As of last February 2015, it was 87 days of inactivity before your Gmail account won't accept a scan. All you have to do is log on to the account, and within 5 minutes it's working again. I imagine this would have been easier to explain if I spoke better Chinese, or she spoke better English. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Canon345

As a dealer, I still like the idea of creating an email account with an ISP and a generic domain name. My cost maybe $60 a year? I could charge a one time fee or an annual fee to the customer for the setup on this relay.

This would be an pop email account that doesn't require SSL for older machines but uses port 587. For example, Network Solutions. Remember, its only a credential checker not an email archive. There isn't much to worry about using the free ones but the gmail account requiring a log in is not good either.

Canon345

Quote Originally Posted by CanonSco View Post
    In short , yes.

Use SSL port 465 or Start TLS 587

Unless the client is using GoogleApps or are ONLY sending to GMAIL accounts, then you can use port 25 with a SMTP server of aspmx.l.google.com
    Um if you are going to advise the google restricted server. Dont forget to add the 55 gallon barrel of LUBE!
    If your device or application does not support SSL - connect to aspmx.l.google.com on port 25.
    You must configure an SPF record for your domain with the IP address of the device or application to ensure that recipients do not reject mail sent from it. You must also add this IP address to the Email Whitelist box in your Google Admin console. For example, if your sending device sends from 123.45.67.89, add that address to your SPF record without removing the Google Apps mail servers from the record: v=spf1 ip4:123.45.67.89 include:_spf.google.com ~all