Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Brother EM-530

Brother EM-530

We just got one of these in for repair, don't have a lot of access to parts for brother devices. But it has an issue with spacing, mixing up the pitches. Anyone here have any ideas on where to start? Sorry just way new to these things and all that, and newbie on the job so I got the task of trying to fix! Thanks in advance!!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Brother EM-530

This could be utter nonsense, as the only typewriter I've ever ever worked on was an ancient Underwood manual machine I bought at a yard sale back when I was in junior high.
    Still, I'd look at the mechanics that move the print head back and forth first, as it kind of sounds like there is something binding there. Perhaps the shaft the print head rides on needs to be cleaned and/or lubed? I'd guess there is a toothed/timing belt that drives the print head, is it in good shape?
    It could be the motor that drives the print head is bad, but let's hope that isn't the case because I have no idea what to do about that.
    Well, hope there is something useful here. Otherwise, sorry for wasting your time.

Re: Brother EM-530

I dove in head first on this lol, and well opened up the door. cleaned out any debris that was there where the carriage goes back and forth, oiled the 2 bars it rides on up as well. Then well haha was almost 2 easy after that. They have 4 options for letter spacing or as they call it pitch. It was set to the PS option so I changed it to 10 then 12 and 12 seemed to do the trick. the letters space out great now. and works well so will see how it all works out!!