Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Fellowes Cross-cut shredder--general cross-cut shredder question

Thumbs up Fellowes Cross-cut shredder--general cross-cut shredder question

Have a customer's Fellowes B-161C cross-cut shredder in my place. It shreds several pages then starts to bunch up at exit. I have properly oiled and inspected for damage.There is no damage.

Is this due possibly to motor not turning as strongly as it should? Any help is appreciated. I assume this is relevant to all cross-cut shredders. Frank/ActionPhotocopy

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Re: Fellowes Cross-cut shredder--general cross-cut shredder question

Fellowes shredders are a nightmare to try & repair, never been able to get parts, they usually come with a 2 yr warranty, the customer contacts Fellowes & gets sent a replacement, no questions asked, if it's out of warranty...I would suggest selling the customer a decent m/c that you can get parts for...i.e. Rexel
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Thumbs up Re: Fellowes Cross-cut shredder--general cross-cut shredder question

Thanks for your input but what is causing the problem so I will have an idea on other shredders. Is it slow motor? Frank

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I'm not sure, but it sounds a little bit like the shredding rollers are spreading apart after a while. Maybe the bearings or the places they are mounted to have problems.
    I suppose it could be the bin full sensor is intermittently failing. With all the paper dust shredders produce it might not hurt to check that - vacuuming the unit out with a vacuum that can handle paper dust might help.
    A good blast of air from a can might seem reasonable, too. But unless you have the previously described vacuum and a decent set of goggles, avoid doing that. It makes a bigger mess than you might think, and loads of paper dust in the eyes is somewhat uncomfortable.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Some people over oil the cutter and it puts a layer of oil and paper dust over the entry LED/LDR sensor and the machine locks up or won't start. Faulty start capacitors on the motor can cause motor to labour and shutter. Broken load bearings also.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I may not be understanding how it is jamming. The shreddings should fall directly into the bin or bag from the cutter? I did have a problem with static electricity where the shreddings wanted to stick to everything rather than fall into the bag but don't remember that it would result in jamming. Can you cheat the bin switch and watch while shredding?

Thanks guys. The cross cut shreddings king of ball up a bit at the exit of shredder. Don't get stuck inside but cause alarm to go off as shreddings building up at create problem. Frank

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by axyun View Post
    Thanks guys. The cross cut shreddings king of ball up a bit at the exit of shredder. Don't get stuck inside but cause alarm to go off as shreddings building up at create problem. Frank

I don't know if you've solved this yet, but if staic is causing trouble try spraying or wiping the plastic parts with Static Guard or liquid fabric softener.

Thanks for the tip. Customer got rid of machine. Frank