Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Default File Associations

My Win7 enterprise has started associating .tar files to word pad. I'm pretty sure I did this accidently, but can't seem to get it fixed. I have tried both the file association editor within the properties of the file, and regedit to remove the setting here. Neither works, now when I try to load a .tar file the MFP will not recognize it. Anybody run into this and solved it? TIA Emujpo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Default File Associations

Have you tried installing 7Zip or some other kind of file archiver that can read .tar files? That may help to reset the file association.

Now that you mention it, this is exactly when the problem started, I loaded WinZip just to decompress a specific software download that the vendor recommended. WinZip became the default decompressing tool and I was OK with it until it expired. Didn't want to pay for the damn thing as the zip program built into windows worked fine for everything else. That was the point that my .tar files started giving me fits. Without paying for a program I really don't like or need, any ideas? Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Have you tried installing 7Zip or some other kind of file archiver that can read .tar files? That may help to reset the file association.
    Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    Now that you mention it, this is exactly when the problem started, I loaded WinZip just to decompress a specific software download that the vendor recommended. WinZip became the default decompressing tool and I was OK with it until it expired. Didn't want to pay for the damn thing as the zip program built into windows worked fine for everything else. That was the point that my .tar files started giving me fits. Without paying for a program I really don't like or need, any ideas? Emujo

As with Open Office and a number of other software, 7-Zip is open source. As such it is available free. I would recommend downloading it directly from their official site, 7-Zip and avoid any place such as cnet.download.com as they lately seem to be adding ride on worms to their downloads.

WinZip has been a piece of garbage for years. The other advantage of 7Zip is that it can also open executable files, which comes in very handy for things like HP drivers since you can pull out the driver without having to go through the pain of installing all of the bloatware included with them.

Have to agree as well: stay away from almost any download site like CNet or download.com: they all bundle in toolbars or adware into their installers. The only reliable one I've found is Ninite: https://ninite.com/

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Have to agree as well: stay away from almost any download site like CNet or download.com: they all bundle in toolbars or adware into their installers. The only reliable one I've found is Ninite: https://ninite.com/
    I'll have to try it sometime. Of course having a good malware protection software helps. Malware Bytes Anti Malware which use throws up alerts for cnet and many others. Sometimes it will even block the download site.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Try this, and let e know if it works:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program.
    choose explorers as default.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program.
    For this instance, Windows Explorer won't work: .tar files are a native Unix file type. Windows cannot read or open them without a third party tool.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post

My bad!!!
    rthonpm is right.

This steps let you set the default file associated program when you have installed it.
    otherwise you need install one.
    I was using a portable version to open .rar files it open .tar files too but you don't need to install it.
    you can learn more here

Solved...you have to go into regedit and delete the file extension for current and root users, the key is you also have to stop and restart explorer services...I missed that tidbit...Once I did this step, .tar files act the way they are supposed to...Meaning, Windows doesn't know what program to open them with...Emujo