Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Smile Non-SSL email workarounds for older mfp's

How are you handling older units that can authenticate, but can't scan to email using SSL, such as Bizhub 200~362? We've been providing a non-ssl smtp server but our mail host wants us to quit in 30 days. I'm hearing that by year end, port 25 is shut down, and they are doing reverse dns checks on all emails sent to verify it's a real address. So does any one have a protocol sheet or site survey form they require from their customers before they go install a mpf that will scan? Maybe a checklist of requirements or help sheet to get the customer to register a mfp email address... I have to "fix" over a hundred accounts that have made up emails for sender addresses. We always tell the customer we put it in there temp to get them going, but they rarely follow up and register a scanner address.
    Please type your replies slowly as I'm barely understanding this crap. Thanks!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Non-SSL email workarounds for older mfp's

Re: Non-SSL email workarounds for older mfp's

Look into a software called "Stunnel". It replicates the effect off SSL communication.

I haven't installed it myself so I can't really add anything to that. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

We eat the $10/mo it costs to have Rackspace host an unencrypted SMTP connection using our domain for older machines. It save me a lot of headaches.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    We eat the $10/mo it costs to have Rackspace host an unencrypted SMTP connection using our domain for older machines. It save me a lot of headaches.
    tmaged- We also have done that for years until last week they changed my pw for the account to a random due to suspected virus and emailed me saying I need to change the pw. Too many bounces they say. Our phone started ringing immediately. 7 calls in 1.5 hours late Friday. Glad it was late Friday & glad I was able to use the same pw. They analyzed the "flags" and said they were mostly fake gmail addresses getting flagged. Some customers have not been registering the gmail address we start them with. Because of new rules coming down the pike, they suggest the customers use a sending email address registered through their ISP or email host... whether that is Comcast, AT&T, Rackspace, Godaddy, etc... IDK if they just have a problem with Gmail, BUT I'm told by year end there will be no non-ssl servers operating, thanks to FCC guidelines?? So a workaround like Stunnel, or customer setting up a proxy? IDK how to do that, but I'm looking to act quickly before they kill my email account and to be ready for year end.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Did the lease include the term "till death do us part"? Hire a Sales staff.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    Did the lease include the term "till death do us part"? Hire a Sales staff.
    JR2ALTA- We sell a good amount of copiers that are off lease, refurbished. I guess the combination of the Bizhub's durability and our ability to keep them running 4 or 5 years after the lease return/resale has produced a large base of customers that still see value in these machines. Not everyone can afford a new copier. Not everyone wants to pay the lease company all that interest and often the added service in advance, plus interest.
    Not all dealers want to grow their staff. We are very content to stay small and SERVE our customers. If Bizhub 200~362's fill their need, I'm not gonna push a sales pitch on them until it's in THEIR best interest not to fix it.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I haven't heard, nor can I find anything about the elimination of unencrypted SMTP.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Requirements for non SSL/TLS vary from one provider to another. If the customer has an IT provider, it is their responsibility to provide you with the general information on how to set up a MFP to function on their network. Most IT support services already know how to configure Office 365 or Exchange Cloud services to provide non-SSL. In house IT are a different matter but it is stil their responsibility to contact the ISP/email provider. If the customer has no IT, then the best thing is to contact the customers email provider directly. Many have FAQ documents that provide the needed information. Normally there are some restrictions. Normally they either require that the IP address be registered or there is a limit on the number of emails that can be sent. The IP address restriction is the public IP of the router not the local machine IP. If the ISP is the email provider, then the IP is already registered. Gmail allows you to send to another gmail or Google APPs. There are a few ISP's that block port 25 at the router and I have encountered blocking of all normal SMTP ports to any email provider other than the ISP. GoDaddy used to provide SMTP on port 80 but it has been over 6 months since we switched to BrightHouse so I don't know if they still do.

Set up Scan to folder (SMB).

On document to e-mail, right click, choose "send to...", choose e-mail recipient (...if you have local e-mail client!--Mozilla Thunderbird--free option!), compose e-mail and send!

The advantage of this is, you would currently be using whatever the latest e-mail encryption is...AND--you would have a record of the e-mail sent!--so if it needs to be re-sent/forwarded--WHATEVER!, You can do it!

This would be my *personal* preference for reference and accountability!

Another point, if you have a Kyocera MFP that supports the latest HyPas apps, you can get what is called PinPoint Scan!

PinPoint Scan | Capture & Distribution | Document Solutions | KYOCERA Document Solutions

WOW!

If the customer don't mind an extra fee of $8.88 per year they can subscribe to inbox.com

They have a free account but it sometimes puts add in the emails and it will delete your account if you don't log in every 6 months.

They allow authenticated scan to email over port 25 without ssl. After creating the account you have to enable smtp in the options.

I have used it a couple times with a bizhub 200 series and some other copiers. Small price to pay if they don't have any other option. I helped the customer sign up for it in some cases.

Stunnel does work. I have done it once. The software runs on a computer that must be on for scanning the work. The software has a config file that you edit for example

cert = stunnel.pem
    socket = l:TCP_NODELAY=1
    socket = r:TCP_NODELAY=1
    client = yes

[pop3s]
    accept = 110
    connect = pop.gmail.com:995

[imaps]
    accept = 143
    connect = imap.gmail.com:993

[ssmtp]
    accept = 25