Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Windows 10

Windows 10

So Microsoft has reported that Win 10 will be a free for users who are on Win 7 or above….
    In larger companies deployment will be managed by their IT staff, if it even gets deployed. But for smaller organizations I believe users will tempted to hit the upgrade button with no regard to what it may break, specifically Scan to SMB. With print drivers, there will always be workarounds, they may not be full featured, but a piece of paper will come out of the MFC with the customer’s information on it

For those of you who work with new or newer equipment, no problem here. The manufactures will provide firmware and driver updates where needed.

For those us who primarily work with older boxes we’re shit out of luck, up a creek with no paddle, etc.

So let see what SMB Version 3.3/4.0 will break. I propose a list / database of what machines work and which ones don’t. My test beds will be Windows 10 preview x64. Being a Konica Minolta and Sharp house the following boxes are the ones I will be testing. All test will be done using hostname and IP, to see if there are any differences. If anyone else wants to add to the list go ahead.

Konica Minolta

Bizhub 360, 420, 500

Bizhub 361, 421, 501 *Works Well

Bizhub 600, 750 *Works, File Transmission is a Little Slow

Bizhub 601, 751

Bizhub C351, C450

Bizhub C451, C550, C650 *Works Well

Sharp

MX-M 350, 450

MX-M 363, 453, 503

MX-M 550, 620, 700

MX-M 623, 753

MX-C 311, 401

HP

HP M4345 *Works, File Transmission is a VERY Slow

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Windows 10

Re: Windows 10

This occurred to me too. We charge if a client's hard/software upgrades require a service call. So this could be a windfall.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Windows 10

I have a Win 7 laptop and a Win 8.1 desktop.
    I am going to wait until the last minute to upgrade while checking for problems. Remember Windows Vista?

Any customer that upgrades without checking me first is going to be billed big bucks per hour.
    IT nerds still think of the copier as an HP type printer. In 15 years of network installs I have never been asked if it will affect the equipment before they upgrade.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    I have a Win 7 laptop and a Win 8.1 desktop.
    I am going to wait until the last minute to upgrade while checking for problems. Remember Windows Vista?

Any customer that upgrades without checking me first is going to be billed big bucks per hour.
    IT nerds still think of the copier as an HP type printer. In 15 years of network installs I have never been asked if it will affect the equipment before they upgrade.
    I agree. I read somewhere along the way that all devices working on Win 8.1, would be fully compatible, or work without interruption (or something along those lines). This 'one click' upgrade is an interesting strategy by MS, but I predict a firestorm of compatibility issues when the update /upgrade rolls out, and like you NM, I've never been asked (but always blamed) when an upgrade screws things up!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Microsoft has gotten much better at keeping the core of an OS consistent even though everything around it changed. So far my Windows 10 test machine has worked with everything I've thrown at it from Windows 7. The only initial issues I had were with scan to SMB, but that has started to work with the last two builds of the Technical Preview. I put my 10 machine on Active Directory, which broke a few of the update modules until I stripped them out of the Testing OU so I was quite behind in my Preview build.

Let's also keep in mind that what we're seeing now is still not the final product and that domain bound machines won't be getting the upgrade immediately: it will be available primarily to standalone and consumer based PC's. If your customers are running workgroups instead of Active Directory, you'll still be seeing Windows 7 and 8.1 for some time to come.
    Last edited by rthonpm; 06-30-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Cleared up post

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Windows 10

being of a suspicious nature,
    i wonder if the windows 10 that will be given away free to windows users for twelve months will turn out to have an annual license fee that pops up after the twelve months like the wonderful office 365.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

It's unlikely that Microsoft will go with the subscription model for the OS. Their main concern is to try and get as many people onto Windows 10 as possible to make it easier in terms of long term support. The last thing they want is a repeat of the XP retirement where all the stick in the muds complained about a retirement they knew was coming.

Windows 7 is supported until 2020, and Windows 8 until 2023. By that time the vast majority of computers will already be running Windows 10.

Sent from my BlackBerry using the Android app.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Windows 10

I have already looked into Windows 7 update to Windows 10. According to Microsoft, if you update and do not like it, you can roll back to Windows 7. I have a Windows 7 laptop that I updated from Vista. I use it at work. At home I have Windows 8 laptop. Once I installed some of the Windows 7 games and I found and installed Classic Shell so that it boots to the Desktop Windows 8 was tolerable.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

IMHO Free installation of Win10 smell like a trap.
    Will Microsoft use the platform to "divide and conquer" a bigger slice of the internet an it's inter-connected device market?
    I'm thinking a full competition/capitalist totally separate Microsoft cloud based internet allowing only Microsoft products, which will limit any 3rd party inter-connections. Microsoft already limits connection to google internet in some applications. A free software upgrade ?????, something is not right.

Just my 2c .....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ˇ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

I read that the upgrade is "free" for 1 year, then the product must be licensed ($$$). Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.