Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Windows 10

Re: Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    I read that the upgrade is "free" for 1 year, then the product must be licensed ($$$). Emujo
    From what I have read, Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 during the first year after its initial release date. If you upgrade during that 1 year period then the licensing is for the life of the computer that you upgrade. If you wait until after t he 1 year period then you will need to pay a licensing fee. This is Microsoft's attempt to encourage everyone to upgrade so that they do not have the same situation with Windows 7 that they have with XP.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    I read that the upgrade is "free" for 1 year, then the product must be licensed ($$$). Emujo
    I keep reading the opposite but Microsoft keeps changing its mind on who get what free. Guess we will find out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Re: Windows 10 GWX REMOVAL!!!

The update for Windows 10 (GWX - Get Windows 10--Roman Numeral "X") is KB3035583 and was "slipped" under the radar by microsoft!...I read the description of GWX and it said NOTHING about being an "upgrade" patch!

So, IMO, this is a piece of nagware/malware that was DISHONESTLY rolled out by microsoft!

If you don't want it, uninstall it!...just make sure that after you uninstall the the KB3035583 "update" that you hide that particular update so it doesn't show in your update list!

WHEW!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Here's a little more clarity on the whole Windows 10 thing: No, Windows 10 Won

I actually took the plunge and went from doing testing on a virtual machine to installing Windows 10 on my main use laptop. So far I haven't run across a piece of software that hasn't worked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post

I actually took the plunge and went from doing testing on a virtual machine to installing Windows 10 on my main use laptop. So far I haven't run across a piece of software that hasn't worked yet.
    I did the same a couple weeks ago. Works great.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Windows 10

I have a testing one on my laptop and as soon as I plug my digital camera in the picture veiwer crashes, and google earth aint as fast as it was in 7
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Does it have "Compatibility" mode for running older programs??...like Windows 7?

TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    Does it have "Compatibility" mode for running older programs??...like Windows 7?

TIA!

I've seen the option. Haven't tried it.

Man About Town 250+ Posts CanonSco's Avatar

I ran 10 for some months on 2 of my test boxes at home. These are just used as media boxes though. Although they are on my domain and run various apps / processes 24/7. Had them scanning to Canon IRADV5030 test mc.

Not one issue. Both are back on 8.1 but will switching to 10 when it is released.

On a side note , I would be happier if you could download the iso rather than 1 click in place upgrade. I always prefer to do a fresh install.

I imagine there will be at the least a flood of user issue calls when clients switch over.
    Yes, I am a nerd.
    Gaming PC - check. Raspberry Pi - Check. Custom ROM on phone - check. Thick glasses - check.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by CanonSco View Post
    I ran 10 for some months on 2 of my test boxes at home. These are just used as media boxes though. Although they are on my domain and run various apps / processes 24/7. Had them scanning to Canon IRADV5030 test mc.

Not one issue. Both are back on 8.1 but will switching to 10 when it is released.

On a side note , I would be happier if you could download the iso rather than 1 click in place upgrade. I always prefer to do a fresh install.

I imagine there will be at the least a flood of user issue calls when clients switch over.
    The big draw back to installing from an ISO created CD or thumb drive is being able to roll back to your previous version. I would also have to contact the vendors of some of the registered softwares that I have installed for instruction on transferring the registration.