Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help Toshiba e232 network settings - scan to email

Hello, just joined:

We have a Toshiba e232 which we use for network printing and faxing. We would like to be able to fax-to-email. I have gone through many searches looking for the right information to use in Top Access, but I do not have 100% capabilities as an "IT Manager" so I can get confused easily.
    We have a static IP for the machine to use as a network printer. I have an older email address from a former employee to use for the copier. I have tried to use the same email settings that we use for Outlook regarding POP and SMTP settings, ports, etc. None of the How-To information I have found so far is explicit enough to tell me what I am doing wrong. The only thing that happens is that I get a report saying "TX FAILURE NOTICE".

Thanks in advance.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Re: Help Toshiba e232 network settings - scan to email

You need a SMTP or Exchange name or IP address, authentication (user name/password) and a from address for the MFP to send mail. It's been many years since I set up a Toshiba product, but you have to go to 2 separate areas to put this info in..One is the network settings tab, look for "smtp server", leave client and POP alone, 2ndly you are looking for another tab to input the from address. It might be easier to find this from the control panel as admin. The icon is on the screen right in front of you. Failed to send is a generic message. You can get a more detailed error by looking at the job log. It will give you a failure code or message. If it's a code, post it and we can tell you if it's a login error or a connection error. If you are using the name of the email server, be sure you have DNS info entered in the basic TCP/IP settings. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

We use Outlook, so the SMTP server would be the same; I have an email address with a password that I have entered through TopAccess as the From address. There are two locations to enter this information, which I have done (SMTP server & client). Thanks for the info on the POP, why would I not alter the Client?

If I use the name of the email server from Outlook (smtp.gmail.com for instance) I doubt I have that name in TCP/IP (DNS); I believe I have the Static IP address of our server entered instead.

Thanks for the info on the Job Log. I have a SCAN error that "POP before SMTP Authentication failed" so somehow I need to get that changed back. I also have TRANSMISSION errors 1C66 and 1C72.

Thanks for your help.

Again, been awhile with Toshiba..use the client section, disable POP. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Disabling POP didn't help, but the Transmission error was 1C66 (when I tried to FAX to Email), and then "Failed to Connect to SMTP server" (when I tried to SCAN to Email).

Below are my settings for SMTP server:

Enable SMTP Server Enable
    Port Number 465
    Email Address smtp.gmail.com
    Enable OffRamp Gateway Disable
    OffRamp Security Enable
    OffRamp Print Enable

Also my SMTP Client settings: (Thanks)

Enable SMTP Client Enable
    Enable SSL Accept all certificates without CA
    SSL/TLS Over SSL
    SMTP Server Address smtp.gmail.com
    POP Before SMTP Disable
    Authentication Auto
    Login Name joan
    Maximum Email / InternetFax Size 30 MB
    Port Number 465
    Go to top of this page

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APCplantmgr View Post
    Disabling POP didn't help, but the Transmission error was 1C66 (when I tried to FAX to Email), and then "Failed to Connect to SMTP server" (when I tried to SCAN to Email).

Below are my settings for SMTP server:

Enable SMTP Server Enable
    Port Number 465
    Email Address smtp.gmail.com
    Enable OffRamp Gateway Disable
    OffRamp Security Enable
    OffRamp Print Enable
    try port 587, google stopped using port 465 . below is a telnet to gmail on port 465 with no response:

telnet smtp.gmail.com 465
    Trying 173.194.204.109...
    Connected to gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com.

this is telnet to port 587 with response from mail server, then enter helo and you get response that mail server is ready, you can send a message this way but I would have to find the other commands, have forgotten over time.

telnet smtp.gmail.com 587
    Trying 173.194.204.108...
    Connected to gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP a8sm988119qka.0 - gsmtp
    helo
    250 smtp.gmail.com at your service

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Changing the port to 587 in both SMTP settings did not help. I got an error that has a "Mode" of ML00 and "Status" of 1C71 when trying to FAX to email.
    And I got an error "Failed SMTP authentication" when I tried to Scan to email.
    Anything else I can try?

Your authentication user name needs to be name@gmail.com...You have "joan" only in your settings. Disable SMTP server unless you plan on using the MFP for incoming mail. Emujo

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APCplantmgr View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Changing the port to 587 in both SMTP settings did not help. I got an error that has a "Mode" of ML00 and "Status" of 1C71 when trying to FAX to email.
    And I got an error "Failed SMTP authentication" when I tried to Scan to email.
    Anything else I can try?

[1C71] SMTP authentication ERROR

Check that SMTP authentication method, login name and password are correct, then perform authentication again.

so it looks like your getting the same message for internet fax and scan to email.you are getting to the gmail server now, As emujo stated you just need to get the right user name and password for that email account or setup a new account in gmail..

This is a older mfp: win 2000 and xp vintage and may not work with the updated security requirements of gmail , I don't think gmail was around yet.