Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    How to use "GPUPDATE LOCALADMIN/force"

Large customers IT have all workstations set without admin rights. Sometimes I have to modify printer settings and IT set up for me something like "GPUPDATE LOCALADMIN/force" with my own user name and password. This should give me admin rights under an already logged in user. I tried to use it by logging in myself as a user with the to me provided user name and password (user: LOCALADMIN, password: ABC%123). This works for settings under my user account but I cannot modify with this method the printer settings from another user which should be the purpose.

Question: What must I do to be able to modify settings of a particular user being myself an administrator please? I feel embarrassed to ask IT about the procedure in front of the customer since they are a bunch of rather arrogant folks....

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: How to use "GPUPDATE LOCALADMIN/force"

After you have modified the settings for your user account, try logging out then log back in. Check to see if setting are still modified. If not, IT is pushing settings from the server at login. IT problem.

Most IT departments I have dealt with do not like other people making changes on their network. Sounds like IT at your customer is either lazy or incompetent.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

It sounds like the printer is shared on a server. All they're doing is giving you a local account for a workstation(s) so you still wouldn't be in the correct security group to make changes for the printers on the server.

Once thing I try to do for my customers (since I also do the IT side as well as copiers) is to use the server's Print Operators group to grant additional permissions to some users (generally supervisors or on site IT staff). Instead of just permissions to print, members of the Print Operators group can manage the printer and documents. This gives them the ability to also change the printer ports and do everything except unshare the device so use it with caution.

Another thing to do for modifying global printing settings for a particular user is to make the changes from the Start Menu>Devices and Printers>Printer Properties>Preferences. By making the changes from here, as opposed to from an application's print menu the settings apply for all applications on that computer.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Another thing to do for modifying global printing settings for a particular user is to make the changes from the Start Menu>Devices and Printers>Printer Properties>Preferences.
    That's exactly what I was wanting to do but all settings are greyed out.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Any setting you want pushed out to the clients should be changed in Printer Properties/Advanced/Printing Defaults. If your credentials don't allow print management, then you need to place the accountability on the IT staff. There's no way you should be doing GP updates and I don't know of any IT admins that I have worked with that would allow me to make changes like that. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    That's exactly what I was wanting to do but all settings are greyed out.

Hans
    They are greyed out because they have to be set on the server.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

In general if I require access to administration on a restricted network, I ask the I.T. staff to set a temporary password so I can gain access. Something like "tech1". The I.T. staff then reset their original password back to normal when I leave. Some networks even have a special account set aside for guests,techs & temporary flow through staff.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••