Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Interesting problem with Google Chrome and it's solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreama View Post
    Your boss had only 2Gb of Ram - its the year 2015 man !! even my very antiquated laptop has 4Gb !
    Boy how things have changed...
    Back in the Z80 or even the 80286 days 640k of ram was massive. If you had a 1Mb yes "One Megabyte" of ram it would have cost you $800-$900 and you where considered the coolest kid on the block.

To quote Bill Gates himself ,no system should ever need more than 640K of ram."640k ought to be enough for everybody."

Oh how things have changed.
    I still use an old AMD 3.2Ghz Athlon CPU with 2Gb of RAM with intensive graphics apps, an I can honestly say I've never seen the resource meter reach over 1Gb.
    Lazy sloppy programmers use heaps of Ram to compensate for their inefficient coding practices. The old she'll be right we'll get the user to throw in another GB of Ram, we won't need to worry about finding RAM leakage and dangling pointers. What the heck the user can't tell the difference between graphics images so well use memory intensive 32/24bit uncompressed *.bmp in every code page.

I had a tiny program back in the 90's that was 2K in size that ran on a 80386 CPU with 1Mb of Ram. The program displayed a full Martian lunar surface with mouse FPS style walk through over the rocks of the lunar surface. The program was a written in 2000bytes of very well polished machine code that displayed graphics in real time rendered landscape scenes.

The use of 2-4GB of Ram on a motherboard today is just a well organised sales gimic........
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 08-31-2015 at 01:58 PM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Technician

Yep, you are correct. OS's themselves use too much ram.
    I fired up my old laptop which I have Linux Mint installed on and was very impressed with how you can click on menu's and they respond immediately. It's a current version and it's running on fairly low spec hardware.

I remember trying to get SimCity2000 to run on my old 386 with 4mb ram - the game needed 4mb Ram to run. in the user manual had instructions on how to create a boot disk for dos which would boot straight into the game! Talk about learning computers.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dreama View Post
    Yep, you are correct. OS's themselves use too much ram.
    I fired up my old laptop which I have Linux Mint installed on and was very impressed with how you can click on menu's and they respond immediately. It's a current version and it's running on fairly low spec hardware.

I remember trying to get SimCity2000 to run on my old 386 with 4mb ram - the game needed 4mb Ram to run. in the user manual had instructions on how to create a boot disk for dos which would boot straight into the game! Talk about learning computers.

Thanks for the Linux Mint Add!

My wife is a teacher and has less than 10 K-1 students in her class--it's a private school and can't invest alot of money in new equipment. Anyway, she has a couple of Dell Dimension 2400 PC's (P4 CPU) that I have maxed out the RAM at 2 GB per machine, added Nvidia PCI graphics cards AND installed Ubuntu MATE!:

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

Anyway, it runs great!....AND the memory footprint is around 400 MB!

Also, I am able to run KODI!

Kodi | Open Source Home Theatre Software

WoW!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Currently replying to this on a P4 2.4 ghz with 768M of ram using Mint. A little slow on some things, but generally does what I want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Currently replying to this on a P4 2.4 ghz with 768M of ram using Mint. A little slow on some things, but generally does what I want it to.
    ...is that Mint Cinnamon or Mint MATE?!?!

PS--the Mint MATE is supposed to work better with lower spec'd equipment!...I've got Ubuntu MATE on a machine at home, but I think I am going to try out the Mint MATE and see how it works!...Great thing is, I got a bunch of 40 GB IDE IBM Hard Drives that I've pulled from some Ricoh-Savin Machines and I can try out different distros to see which work best!

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    ...is that Mint Cinnamon or Mint MATE?!?!

PS--the Mint MATE is supposed to work better with lower spec'd equipment!...I've got Ubuntu MATE on a machine at home, but I think I am going to try out the Mint MATE and see how it works!...Great thing is, I got a bunch of 40 GB IDE IBM Hard Drives that I've pulled from some Ricoh-Savin Machines and I can try out different distros to see which work best!
    Haven't tried Mint Mate, gonna have to check it out. Thanks. Funny, I do the same with the 40 gig IDE, good experimental stuff. I have an old p4, 2 ghz, with a couple 160gb Ricoh hdd's setup in a software RAID using NAS4FREE. Got a copier at home using SMB to scan to it. Pay a bill, scan, and shred. Who could want more? Been a Linux fan now for about 15 years. I am almost sad it is becoming so popular. I liked going to the dark side of the internet without much worry looking for manuals,programs, etc. Now I think twice, even with Linux.

jpmurray-ie

I had so much trouble with chrome crashing printers that I found this way to totally disable the stupid print preview. Firmware helped a lot of times but not always
    https://support.vendhq.com/hc/en-us/...ogle-Chrome-20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Haven't tried Mint Mate, gonna have to check it out. Thanks. Funny, I do the same with the 40 gig IDE, good experimental stuff. I have an old p4, 2 ghz, with a couple 160gb Ricoh hdd's setup in a software RAID using NAS4FREE. Got a copier at home using SMB to scan to it. Pay a bill, scan, and shred. Who could want more? Been a Linux fan now for about 15 years. I am almost sad it is becoming so popular. I liked going to the dark side of the internet without much worry looking for manuals,programs, etc. Now I think twice, even with Linux.
    You might like to know....saw it on some tech news site that the alpha'bet agencies are paying *more attention* to linux users...sees them as *potential* dissidents!...go figure!....people are figuring out that windoze has been "backdoored" to the alpha'bet agencies and are switching ranks!

You might like to know....saw it on some tech news site that the alpha'bet agencies are paying *more attention* to linux users...sees them as *potential* dissidents!...go figure!....people are figuring out that windoze has been "backdoored" to the alpha'bet agencies and are switching ranks!

Speaking of WINDBLOWS, just updated my wife's laptop to W10. Which has the new browser and internet and antivirus protection built into the system. I was researching a P0430 error code my car is giving. Within a matter of the first 2 google pages, I landed on a site and boom, the laptop was filled with ransom ware. I was even using a standard user account when browsing so nothing "SHOULD HAVE BEEN INSTALLED". I thought no biggie, just reimage, imaging comes standard with W10. The image did not work!!! Screw that crap, going back to clonzilla. Fortunately I made a system restore point after loading, went back to that, and it got rid of the ransomware. Real secure. I will admit W10 has a nice feel to it, like a good updated W7, the jury is still out though. I hear the new browser sells out our data. Time for proxies for the internet anymore, I think the anonymousity is worth the price. Also thinking about going back to open dns.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

If you haven't figure it out by now give it a few years...
    "There's only going to be ONE COMPUTER" --your PC at home an every internet connected device will be just a dumb terminal.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••