IE Explorer Crashing Print Spooler When printing web pages.

Just sharing a problem had last week after did a Kyocera TaskAlfa install. The next day the IT rep called saying they can print fine from Office Programs, like Word, Excel etc. but they when they try to print from any web page using IE 11, ALL the printers in the Control panel disappear not just the new install. The printers would all show back up after a few minutes.

After some research determined the print spool is crashing when try to print any web pages, causing all the other print drivers to vanish. I tried print from Chrome and Firefox and they worked fine so focused on IE as the problem. I eventually got it to print by editing the IE desktop shortcut to "Run as Administrator" , the IT rep wasn't too happy about having his users all run IE as Admin, so I found another solution was to simply go into IE Options-> Security Tab-> Uncheck the Enable Protected Mode box, it is enabled by default and all the users could then print web pages from IE. They are already running Norton Antivirus, so they don't need IE's extra built in malicious software protection and IT rep agreed and is happy now.

Re: IE Explorer Crashing Print Spooler When printing web pages.

Thanks for this advice, it will help me with incoming trouble.
    Greetings peter

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lencombs View Post
    Just sharing a problem had last week after did a Kyocera TaskAlfa install. The next day the IT rep called saying they can print fine from Office Programs, like Word, Excel etc. but they when they try to print from any web page using IE 11, ALL the printers in the Control panel disappear not just the new install. The printers would all show back up after a few minutes.

After some research determined the print spool is crashing when try to print any web pages, causing all the other print drivers to vanish. I tried print from Chrome and Firefox and they worked fine so focused on IE as the problem. I eventually got it to print by editing the IE desktop shortcut to "Run as Administrator" , the IT rep wasn't too happy about having his users all run IE as Admin, so I found another solution was to simply go into IE Options-> Security Tab-> Uncheck the Enable Protected Mode box, it is enabled by default and all the users could then print web pages from IE. They are already running Norton Antivirus, so they don't need IE's extra built in malicious software protection and IT rep agreed and is happy now.
    MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE MOST RECENT PRINT DRIVERS DOWNLOADED FROM KYOCERA'S WEBSITE!!!

Do NOT use the ones on the DVD that comes with the machine!...they are more than likely outdated!...AND with business getting curious about using Windows 10 (X) the drivers are different than Windows 7. If an idiot client updates their computer OS from say Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I have to reload their print driver, their gonna get charged for it!!!....and more often than not this issue is outside the initial setup of 90 days that they can have it fixed! If a client is dumb enough to update their OS and cause issues, they deserve to get charged for it! BTW, Windows 7 IMO is still the most viable OS for an office environment!....I have seen too many ridiculous issues regarding printing with Windows 8 & 10. As the saying goes...."A word to the wise should be sufficient!"

I ran into an *issue* like this on a Mac, where when the driver from the DVD was installed, it didn't have the updated options for Account printing and the customer couldn't print! Note: This was at a High School, the principals office...he was the only one on campus with a Mac....D@MMIT!!!

AND...not sure if you know this, IE can be disabled in Programs and Features-->right side-->Turn Windows Features On or Off!

IMO...IE is a security vulnerability....Firefox works just fine for me!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Disabling IE is possible, but it's not the best idea since it runs the entire Windows HTML engine. You're just asking for issues with everything from HTML email in Outlook to help files with an HTML base getting flaky. Just set your file associations for HTTP, HTTPS, and URL files to your preferred browser and let IE just do the background lifting for mshtml.dll that it's there to do.

Disabling IE is there primarily for devices where you're also removing the network client features entirely, such as a dedicated offline machine, or for custom purpose.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    IE Explorer Crashing Print Spooler When printing web pages.

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    AND...not sure if you know this, IE can be disabled in Programs and Features-->right side-->Turn Windows Features On or Off!

IMO...IE is a security vulnerability....Firefox works just fine for me!

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Disabling IE is possible, but it's not the best idea since it runs the entire Windows HTML engine. You're just asking for issues with everything from HTML email in Outlook to help files with an HTML base getting flaky. Just set your file associations for HTTP, HTTPS, and URL files to your preferred browser and let IE just do the background lifting for mshtml.dll that it's there to do.

Disabling IE is there primarily for devices where you're also removing the network client features entirely, such as a dedicated offline machine, or for custom purpose.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    You do not have to disable IE. Install and use Firefox. Set it as the default browser. If you ever encounter a webpage that does not open properly in Firefox, you can open it in IE.