Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Scan to email failure

Well well, our awesome government has started its control of the 'public utility' known as the internet, thanks Net Neutrality! As I understand it as of January ISP's are required to lock down suspected IP's and email server's 'suspected' of SPAMMING even more so than in the past. In the last month I have had about 10 customers who say they can't scan to email.

Upon arrival I check logs and in most cases the log says the email was sent but the recipient never gets it. This problem is happening on Oki, Samsung, Konica Minolta and in different regions with various IPS's. Long story short, all of the customers have either a blacklisted public IP and/or blacklisted domain/email. I got with a seasoned Network Admin who explained that this is only going to get worse. In his case it was a Law firm that would send a scan to 130 lawyers that are part of a class action lawsuit. Obviously getting customer's off blacklists and figuring out why they got there to begin with isn't MY job but thought I'd pass along info to any of you that will run into this issue.

My resolutions to temporarily correct have been mostly resolved by changing the 'send from' address of the MFP. I've had a few that required me to use a different SMTP server and some to use Googles DNS. I had one yesterday that had no happy ending, their public IP was blacklisted on 32 hosts, not good. I pointed it out to their IT guy who just called me to let me know he found someone had opened an email and the user PC got infected and was using their email server to relay.

Anybody else having these issues?

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Scan to email failure

Re: Scan to email failure

Quote Originally Posted by dc313zd View Post
    Well well, our awesome government has started its control of the 'public utility' known as the internet, thanks Net Neutrality! As I understand it as of January ISP's are required to lock down suspected IP's and email server's 'suspected' of SPAMMING even more so than in the past. In the last month I have had about 10 customers who say they can't scan to email.

Upon arrival I check logs and in most cases the log says the email was sent but the recipient never gets it. This problem is happening on Oki, Samsung, Konica Minolta and in different regions with various IPS's. Long story short, all of the customers have either a blacklisted public IP and/or blacklisted domain/email. I got with a seasoned Network Admin who explained that this is only going to get worse. In his case it was a Law firm that would send a scan to 130 lawyers that are part of a class action lawsuit. Obviously getting customer's off blacklists and figuring out why they got there to begin with isn't MY job but thought I'd pass along info to any of you that will run into this issue.

My resolutions to temporarily correct have been mostly resolved by changing the 'send from' address of the MFP. I've had a few that required me to use a different SMTP server and some to use Googles DNS. I had one yesterday that had no happy ending, their public IP was blacklisted on 32 hosts, not good. I pointed it out to their IT guy who just called me to let me know he found someone had opened an email and the user PC got infected and was using their email server to relay.

Anybody else having these issues?
    Not that I know of, but thank you for posting this explanation.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re : Government internet laws.

Sh!t... I guess "big bother" was going to come out of the closet soon enough. I believe it has nothing to do with internet email spam and has every thing to do with "big bothers" surveillance equipment real-time lag while reading through the internet chaff to get to the wheat. They figure if they scare\flog the heck out of the wheat farmers to remove the chaff from the internet first; they're surveillance(aka paranoia) toy's can test the wheat more efficient and they won't require so many "people" sitting at surveillance computers to confirm the wheat results. All they are going to do is force the internet underground through many more private\public TOR servers on top of deeper encrypted data.

The amazing thing is, who gets to decide what is wheat and what is chaff with regards to email spam?
    Does two or three emails in a row classify a person as (new buzz word) "domestic terrorist" ?
    Is fixing the "email spam" just the start of full blown government lock down ownership of the internet ?
    Will every other country follow along with the same laws ?
    Some censorship changes I agree with and some changes I don't...

Hey I guess it's a case of if they can't play the game fairly then make up a new law and move the goal posts closer in they're favour.

BTW
    I haven't seen any noticeable changes in scan to email...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to email failure

One thing that I think might be triggering this is when you have a company that does a lot of scan to email and have had the email administrator set as the default sender, this way users do not have to select the sender. This can put a high volume on email coming all from the same sender and IP address. With Ricoh you can set user authentication required for scanning. This way, when a user enters their user code, their email address is used as the sender. One other thing to have your customers do is have everyone use the same email provider as the SMTP server. Some online email services,Yahoo and AOL are two, went to a system at least a year ago where if the sender domain did not match the SMTP server domain the email would be bounced back to the sender.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One thing that I think might be triggering this is when you have a company that does a lot of scan to email and have had the email administrator set as the default sender, this way users do not have to select the sender.
    Yeah that was another part of our discussion. Algorithms are used to look for redundancy that 'looks' like SPAM so I've been advising customers not to use 'copier@xxx.com', 'Office@xxx.com', etc and not to use generic message lines. It sounds like Ricoh's are a little more sophisticated than when i worked on them (Aficio 450 era).

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I can vouch for the AOL/Yahoo e-mail problems!....supposedly the way the e-mail is composed doesn't meet their "policy guidelines"!

One that really annoys me (personally) is Comcast....they let slip through EVERY DAMN E-Mail that is in the 2-3 kilobyte range (small)!....in other words e-mail with spam links and that's all!...I have Apple G5 Desktop running Microsoft Entourage with SpamSieve:

SpamSieve: Easy-to-use Mac spam filter for Apple Mail, Outlook, Airmail, Postbox, and more

Haven't had any problems with it yet!

The ONLY problem, is that I usually check e-mail on my iPhone and that doesn't have an "intelligent" spam filter!...just might have to implement a *size* filter online with Comcast!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to email failure

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    I can vouch for the AOL/Yahoo e-mail problems!....supposedly the way the e-mail is composed doesn't meet their "policy guidelines"!

One that really annoys me (personally) is Comcast....they let slip through EVERY DAMN E-Mail that is in the 2-3 kilobyte range (small)!....in other words e-mail with spam links and that's all!...I have Apple G5 Desktop running Microsoft Entourage with SpamSieve:

SpamSieve: Easy-to-use Mac spam filter for Apple Mail, Outlook, Airmail, Postbox, and more

Haven't had any problems with it yet!

The ONLY problem, is that I usually check e-mail on my iPhone and that doesn't have an "intelligent" spam filter!...just might have to implement a *size* filter online with Comcast!

Get an android phone and you can install Malware Bytes Anti Malware. The last I checked, last week, they did not have it for iPhone. Maybe ask Apple why they do not have a malware protection app available.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Get an android phone and you can install Malware Bytes Anti Malware. The last I checked, last week, they did not have it for iPhone. Maybe ask Apple why they do not have a malware protection app available.
    Last time I checked, "SPAM"--unwanted/unsolicited e-mails was not classified as malware!...it is possible for spam e-mail to contain an attachment which spoofs as a legitimate file, such as a PDF, but is only wrapped in a pseudo PDF container and really contains an executable file, either a malicious java script or a .exe file which then installs itself when someone attempts to open that file.

Spam is hardly much different than a telemarketer robo call....they can call you, but when you see the caller ID and don't know who it is, then you can reject and block that call.

It all boils down *mostly* to social engineering and how much of a sucker a person is!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to email failure

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    Last time I checked, "SPAM"--unwanted/unsolicited e-mails was not classified as malware!...it is possible for spam e-mail to contain an attachment which spoofs as a legitimate file, such as a PDF, but is only wrapped in a pseudo PDF container and really contains an executable file, either a malicious java script or a .exe file which then installs itself when someone attempts to open that file.

Spam is hardly much different than a telemarketer robo call....they can call you, but when you see the caller ID and don't know who it is, then you can reject and block that call.

It all boils down *mostly* to social engineering and how much of a sucker a person is!

Malwarebytes catches a lot of things that other, more expensive, anti virus software does. You might want to check it out.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mobile/

Technician

Well I found one of my problems regarding a local ISP (Hargray). In their ULA they deem anything over 10mb 'heavy traffic'. Yesterday one of my customers emails from their MFP were being truncated, turns out they are scanning 80-100 pages with photos at 400 DPI.