Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Connection timeout Email bizhub E series

This is a state health dept. Had bizhub 223 setup with email using IP, port 25, no authentication, no ssl.

Put settings in new bizhub E series setup with same IP address. But gets connection timeout. Told them to get IT dept involved.

IT spend 4 days trying to make it work and now blaming the mfp of course.

What are possible things that cause this. Where in the process could connection timeout occur. Trying to arm myself before meeting with them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Re: Connection timeout Email bizhub E series

Have IT to check if hardwareadress /Mac-adress is allowed in their system.
    You said IP instead of DNS-Name, ok this is a secure way.
    Check next subnetmask, if its a greater company with more than 255 devices, ff.ff.ff.0 will not work.

greetings peter

Sorry, ff.ff.ff.0 is for insiders, 255.255.255.0 would be showed.
    try 255.255.0.0. at machine

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The customers I.T. could also run a packet trace/capture via a program like Wireshark as this will give an even better understanding, though I'll doubt they'll do this an point the finger at the MFP.

It's very rare that an MFP is the cause of the scan to e-mail failure, it's often a misconfiguration on the customer's I.T. infrastructure side or the wrong SMTP settings have been inserted into the MFP.

Now you said there is a connection-timeout error, this is very odd if the mail server is actually within the same LAN segment. Is the mail server off site and contactable over a VPN or is it a mail server like Gmail that is publicly contactable over the internet?

A telnet test and then a packet capture conducted by the I.T. people is probably the best approach.
    Last edited by ApeosMan; 05-24-2016 at 02:16 AM.

I called the client today and a different IT person got involved and configured their server to allow the device to scan and it is resolved.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApeosMan View Post
    ... Now you said there is a connection-timeout error, this is very odd if the mail server is actually within the same LAN segment. Is the mail server off site and contactable over a VPN or is it a mail server like Gmail that is publicly contactable over the internet?

A telnet test and then a packet capture conducted by the I.T. people is probably the best approach.
    This is exactly what I thought of when I read this.

I had one situation where the enduser was using BigDaddy for their email server. When I set up my laptop as an SMTP relay it worked fine. My guess is that the relay persists in sending packets long after the MFP has given up. Our solution here was to direct the customer to have their local IT set up one of the local PC's as an SMTP relay. The only flaw seems to be when that secretary goes on vacation and turns off her PC.

In another situation we had a very slow VPN directing the emails to a server 300 miles away. Again, the SMTP relay proved that the MFP could and would send, to a good connection.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    This is exactly what I thought of when I read this.

I had one situation where the enduser was using BigDaddy for their email server. When I set up my laptop as an SMTP relay it worked fine. My guess is that the relay persists in sending packets long after the MFP has given up. Our solution here was to direct the customer to have their local IT set up one of the local PC's as an SMTP relay. The only flaw seems to be when that secretary goes on vacation and turns off her PC.

In another situation we had a very slow VPN directing the emails to a server 300 miles away. Again, the SMTP relay proved that the MFP could and would send, to a good connection.
    =^..^=
    That is good info.

The key operator contact even knew it was their issue and she had been fighting with IT dept for days while they blamed our copier. Finally she found the right IT employee that knew what the hell was going on and fixed it in minutes.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wseyller View Post
    That is good info.

The key operator contact even knew it was their issue and she had been fighting with IT dept for days while they blamed our copier. Finally she found the right IT employee that knew what the hell was going on and fixed it in minutes.

Haha yup that's always the way, most I.T. people are clueless, but luckily if you persist you will get put through to someone who knows what's going on.

Got to love how to blame the copier when they don't do enough checks on their end to confirm this is the case.