Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar

Updated print driver, no longer able to SMB scan?

Hello

Customer has a Kyocera 205c. They have a "Server" which is really just a windows 7 computer that they access some files from. They are using it as their print server, and I also set up folders on the server for each person to scan to via SMB. There is only one user on this server so that's what each entry into the address book uses for authentication.

Recently a couple of their computers "updated themselves" to windows 10. I've had many instances where windows 10 will do really random things when printing using an older KX driver. So, I went ahead and updated the driver on the server. I did this by going into the printer properties --> advanced tab --> new driver. I then went around to all of the computers and reconnected to the print driver on the "server".

This is what i get for being proactive -- From that day on, the customer has had scanning troubles. The copier will produce a 1102 error which is a username/password error. If they don't touch the copier, but restart the server, it works again for a day or two before it starts failing. Sometimes it's everyone that can't scan, sometimes it's only a few people that can't scan. Again, everyone is using the same username/password to authenticate with the server.

I tried setting up a new "scanner" user on the server for the copier to use. I made sure "everyone" has access to read/write to the folder, and added "everyone" into the security tab just for the heck of it. I tried reinstalling the print driver. I scanned my flash drive which contains the print driver i installed to make sure there were no viruses - none. I tried completely re-creating the scan folders in a different location on the hard drive and made the share name something different. Nothing seems to work. After a day or two it starts up with 1102 errors again. They reboot the server and it's fine.

Their IT guy told the customer that he's found all over the kyocera forums that there's a print driver issue with windows 10 and that's the cause of their problem. Ok, but printing works just fine and their "server" is windows 7 so that makes zero sense.

Any ideas?
    Thank you!

Edit - For clarification, when I reinstalled the print driver, I made sure to delete not only the printer but also the print driver to start fresh.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Updated print driver, no longer able to SMB scan?

Quote Originally Posted by JVergin View Post
    Hello

Customer has a Kyocera 205c. They have a "Server" which is really just a windows 7 computer that they access some files from. They are using it as their print server, and I also set up folders on the server for each person to scan to via SMB. There is only one user on this server so that's what each entry into the address book uses for authentication.

Recently a couple of their computers "updated themselves" to windows 10. I've had many instances where windows 10 will do really random things when printing using an older KX driver. So, I went ahead and updated the driver on the server. I did this by going into the printer properties --> advanced tab --> new driver. I then went around to all of the computers and reconnected to the print driver on the "server".

This is what i get for being proactive -- From that day on, the customer has had scanning troubles. The copier will produce a 1102 error which is a username/password error. If they don't touch the copier, but restart the server, it works again for a day or two before it starts failing. Sometimes it's everyone that can't scan, sometimes it's only a few people that can't scan. Again, everyone is using the same username/password to authenticate with the server.

I tried setting up a new "scanner" user on the server for the copier to use. I made sure "everyone" has access to read/write to the folder, and added "everyone" into the security tab just for the heck of it. I tried reinstalling the print driver. I scanned my flash drive which contains the print driver i installed to make sure there were no viruses - none. I tried completely re-creating the scan folders in a different location on the hard drive and made the share name something different. Nothing seems to work. After a day or two it starts up with 1102 errors again. They reboot the server and it's fine.

Their IT guy told the customer that he's found all over the kyocera forums that there's a print driver issue with windows 10 and that's the cause of their problem. Ok, but printing works just fine and their "server" is windows 7 so that makes zero sense.

Any ideas?
    Thank you!

Edit - For clarification, when I reinstalled the print driver, I made sure to delete not only the printer but also the print driver to start fresh.
    Go Huskers?!....LOL!

Anyway, you need to install GWX Control Panel on your Windows 7 "server":

Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads

Follow directions to disable, delete and monitor the Windows 10 update functionality. Make it so that windows updates just notifies but doesn't automatically install!

Decentralize the print function--print driver on each computer!--no shared!

Centralize your SMB Scanning on the "file server"--once you get it working!.....make individual sub-folders within main folder for each one for users and sharing.

As a NOTE, I have experienced Windows kill SMB functionality when there are pending system updates....in the case of this, Windows 7 was working perfectly fine....then along comes the "secret" subversive Windows 10 updates which run in the background, killing your bandwidth and functionality!....'nuf said.

Good Luck!

PS--Personally, If it was me and I was using the file server, as ONLY a file server, I would save off all of the necessary files and documents that I could and start with a FRESH VANILLA install of Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit!!!....reason? when you get a machine...Dell, HP, or what have you, they give you a half-assed version of Windows that is tailored for their business....especially if has a "home edition" of windows on it, it will have all kinds of trial versions of whatever!

Also, the machines that have Windows 10, make sure they are not using a WSD printer port...using static IP address instead is the key for success!
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html