Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Loses signature in Outlook when forward email from a Ricoh scan

Hello everyone.

When a forward an email caming from a Ricoh scan I lose the HTML signature...
    I read a post in a Microsoft fórum that it is a limitation from Outlook. If you receive an email in plain text will forward it to the same formatting.

(I dont know if this is the correct question...) Ricoh scaners send email just in plain text? Or can I change it to HTML?

Or, can I convert automaticaly plain text emails in HTML in the Outlook?

Thaks so much for your help...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Re: Loses signature in Outlook when forward email from a Ricoh scan

You can switch between plain text und html in outlook but usually the layout might be different if you switch from plain to html

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    You can switch between plain text und html in outlook but usually the layout might be different if you switch from plain to html
    Thank you.

Do we have to do it every single time? or can I configure Outlook to allways convert the emails to HTML?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Loses signature in Outlook when forward email from a Ricoh scan

When you receive an email in plain text, there is no HTML content to forward. If you want the scanned file to be forwarded as part of a HTML email, extract the scanned attachment and attach it to a new HTML email.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    When you receive an email in plain text, there is no HTML content to forward. If you want the scanned file to be forwarded as part of a HTML email, extract the scanned attachment and attach it to a new HTML email.
    Yes... This is the solucyion that I gave to costumer.
    But when you receved an email in plain text and that you forward, you have 2 emails. The first one in plain text (receved from the scaner) and the second one in HTML from your Outlook with your HTML signature ... The problem is that the Outlook reply or forward with the format that receved from the first email (plain text from scâner).

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

There's no real way to do a conversion from plain text to HTML: they are two very different presentation formats. You can do the opposite conversion, from HTML to plain text, but that's just HTML code so you get all of the formatting notation such as "<p>" and the break lines, etc.

While HTML email is pretty to look at, since it does use the backend browser on the system to render, it can open a customer up to security issues. One email with a malicious Javascript snippet embedded into it can run just by using the preview pane.