Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting tired.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Getting tired.

I am getting tired of people who think just because they have a service contract on the printer\copier that we are there to service their network and provide technical help.It is bad enough that you have to cut the cost of the copier and service rate to get the bushiness! Now people want more for free.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Getting tired.

Re: Getting tired.

Alas it's the nature of the business. We've been held responsible for the carpet under the copier, the wall behind the copier, the AC wall power, the fax phone line, and the network. Sometimes all you can do is wait then out. "Hmmm. That VOIP line still doesn't seem to be working very well. It's just too bad that you don't have an analog phone line. They work a lot better." =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    Getting tired.

it is written in our contracts and proposals that we (at the time of install) will setup 3 computers to print and scan to SMB if needed.
    after that its a hundred something an hour for additional computers or other network/PC configuring.
    the nice way to remind them is if asked to do something outside the initial setup i say "while im sure it would be nice if this service was part of your contract, unfortunately it is not. what i can offer you is a discounted rate to fix your XXXXX, would you be interested in that or do you want to consult your IT person first?"
    a choice between two yes's instead of a no. very Dale Carnegie.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

That is like being caught between a rock and a hard place. If you refer to contract when the issue comes up, then in the back of your mind, non-renewal or other negative thoughts are imagined. The managers of a copier company have a tough job, the techs job is to put out the fire, while the managers are to secure and win new contracts. How they [managers] handle things like what your post are referring to and the tough decisions are not easy. Sometimes you have to compromise, especially if the clients are large size and so the screws get tighten on the tech side.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    it is written in our contracts and proposals that we (at the time of install) will setup 3 computers to print and scan to SMB if needed.
    after that its a hundred something an hour for additional computers or other network/PC configuring.
    the nice way to remind them is if asked to do something outside the initial setup i say "while im sure it would be nice if this service was part of your contract, unfortunately it is not. what i can offer you is a discounted rate to fix your XXXXX, would you be interested in that or do you want to consult your IT person first?"
    a choice between two yes's instead of a no. very Dale Carnegie.

Dale Carnegie......hmmmmm....I forgot about my Carnegie training .I shouldn't it cost me a lot of money to take.That is another story thou.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

We do try to help to a certain extent but the minute you touch their network you are and can be blamed for everything( not that they dont do it anyway like the other post said).Sometimes it just best to avoid it if they can get IT(if they have any) to look at any problems.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by richs View Post
    Dale Carnegie......hmmmmm....I forgot about my Carnegie training .I shouldn't it cost me a lot of money to take.That is another story thou.
    Life and times of the humble Tech...
    Dale Carnagie said it would win us friends.
    Napoleon Hill said it would make us rich.

Why then are we surround by people in need who don't make us rich...

May be Dale should have a long talk with Napoleon....
    Together they might come up with a new book.....
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 09-12-2016 at 12:25 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Yep, we are caught in the middle. I also refer them to their IT or we will charge them for services not covered under the contract. If it is a quick and easy 5 minute fix, then i will sometimes make an exception.

it is a very cutthroat business....

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Dealing with one of these myself..Customer ran an internal security scan..Seems like the copiers have a lot of ports that they now want closed. Get a call from them..Please have tech come out and "secure MFP". I sent then our white paper on product security, and they say sounds great, when can you make this happen. I say as soon as you agree to the 200/hr time and materials. "But we have a maintenance contract". You are correct sir, and as soon as you can point out to me exactly where the MFP has malfunctioned I will be all over it. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    Dealing with one of these myself..Customer ran an internal security scan..Seems like the copiers have a lot of ports that they now want closed. Get a call from them..Please have tech come out and "secure MFP". I sent then our white paper on product security, and they say sounds great, when can you make this happen. I say as soon as you agree to the 200/hr time and materials. "But we have a maintenance contract". You are correct sir, and as soon as you can point out to me exactly where the MFP has malfunctioned I will be all over it. Emujo
    If they are "all over it" then let the little security b!tches who ran their little "security scan" host their own little "Black Hat" conference and try to "exploit" the "open" ports on the MFP!...I have a feeling they will sheepishly bow out and decline!...they don't have time to waste on useless BS!...and neither do you!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html