Thread: MP2501 scan OCR

MP2501 scan OCR

I know very little about OCR but I have a customer with a MP2501 and wants to know about OCR scanning.
    Can anyone enlighten me?
    Thanks

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP2501 scan OCR

Re: MP2501 scan OCR

I not certain if the 2501 supports embedded OCR. That function capability was introduced with 2553 I believe. Here a link to a Video nugget that might help. Type OCR into the search box.

http://www.tsrc.ricoh-usa.com/videonuggets/
    Last edited by slimslob; 09-20-2016 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added link

Thanks, that is very helpful and interesting. Funny how it is an option now when the older Ricohs 3245c etc had it as standard.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP2501 scan OCR

Quote Originally Posted by tufbnme View Post
    Thanks, that is very helpful and interesting. Funny how it is an option now when the older Ricohs 3245c etc had it as standard.
    They have always been able to do so when using software on the computer. The new machines with the options can embed OCR text in the PDF. The only problem is that it can minutes to process the scanned data for each page. The document is not sent to the folder until all pages are processed. OCR software on a computer that uses TWAIN/WIA scanning can usually be considerably faster.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

No way that the 3245 had embedded OCR, let alone as a standard. (OCR fonts, maybe.)

Embedded OCR is quite new to Ricoh MFPs, only recently introduced.

Like SlimSlob said, it can be painfully slow. In addition, on board OCR isn't very accurate, either.

Good OCR needs to run as a PC application, and is not cheap, not to mention it can be a REAL resource hog.

One solution is to have the MFP scan to a watched folder, then have the OCR application pick it up from there.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Google offer free OCR reading from within their Drive service. You need to import a scanner image, and open with Google Docs.

(You can use Google Sync to automatically upload any scanned files.)

Whether it is any good or not, I cannot say, asI haven't used it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ricoh has a solution called PPDM 2016 that is a suite of Nuances OCR packages. The Omni page component will allow you to set up a bunch of SMB watch folders for different conversions,i.e. OCR to Word, Searchable pdfs and Excel. The nice thing about the searchable pdf conversion is that it will reduce the file size down a third after the conversion. This seems to be a big plus for Law firms that need to file electronically to the courts. I have a few Law firms that we install this on. One firm is using 3 windows 7 VM's because of the amount of scanning that they do. One each for the 3 6001 that they have. We create all of the scan folders at the W7 box and link them to the workstations and or a backend DM server.
    There are some settings that need to be tweaked when you deploy this solution. If the end users scans in 50 pages or so at a clip you will need to increase the time for when the program starts to act on the pdf.
    If you are a Ricoh direct or dealer with access to their TSC site you can download the solution and request a NFR key.

Good luck..

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Keep in mind that any NFR key is for your own use only, and NOT to be given to a customer.

Don't release that monster by breaking the rules.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    Ricoh has a solution called PPDM 2016 that is a suite of Nuances OCR packages. The Omni page component will allow you to set up a bunch of SMB watch folders for different conversions,i.e. OCR to Word, Searchable pdfs and Excel. The nice thing about the searchable pdf conversion is that it will reduce the file size down a third after the conversion. This seems to be a big plus for Law firms that need to file electronically to the courts. I have a few Law firms that we install this on. One firm is using 3 windows 7 VM's because of the amount of scanning that they do. One each for the 3 6001 that they have. We create all of the scan folders at the W7 box and link them to the workstations and or a backend DM server.
    There are some settings that need to be tweaked when you deploy this solution. If the end users scans in 50 pages or so at a clip you will need to increase the time for when the program starts to act on the pdf.
    If you are a Ricoh direct or dealer with access to their TSC site you can download the solution and request a NFR key.

Good luck..
    THANKS!....I got my PPDM 2016 NFR Key and am gonna check it out! File Size is 2.3 GB....will be waiting awhile for it!
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html