Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Scan to Server Troubleshooting w/ Wireshark

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    Simply installing wireshark and typing an IP address to monitor usually does not suffice. In this configuration, wireshark is only capturing broadcast data. The proper way to do this is to have wireshark running on your laptop, and a switch that allows for port mirroring. You need to put the switch between the network and the MFP, then your laptop will be on the switch capturing all traffic to and from the MFP IP. Fortunately for me, I normally just send the file off to support and they get the task of deciphering the info. Try a goggle search for "cisco switch + port mirroring". You should be able to find a pretty good PDF for how this is configured. Be sure to get your customer's permission before doing this as in this case, begging forgiveness is not better than asking permission. All you need is for some security scan to show un unknown switch in a mirroring mode to have the jack booted thugs surrounding you in 3 min. (And I speak from experience, did this at an international airport and had the TSA all over me..But, I did ask the POC beforehand, she said go ahead, but never asked IT) Emujo
    That could have gotten REALLY ugly at the airport. Good thing you had at least some level of permission.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

SharkTap Network Sniffer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DY...R0Z91S07WA6Y1N

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Doesn't sharp support scan-to-ftp? I usually go for that solid workaround before entering any try-and-error loops after issues occure with SMB functionality.

This might help you.
    Attached Files Attached Files