Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Access denied printing through Server

Access denied printing through Server

I have an elementary school district who about 2 weeks ago replaced their Windows Server 2008 R2 with a new Windows Server 2016. They have 2 Ricoh MFP, a MP 9001 and a MP C6501. At that time, I worked with their IT to get user codes entered into the drivers for their computers so they could print. This morning they suddenly could not print at all. Error logs on the MFPs showed no activity after about 8:00AM PST. Prior there were a couple of print data errors a day. Attempting to print the test page from one of the computers in the office, got an error message. Checking the printer queue on the computer it show "Access Denied". Their IT service was on their way out and when they arrived, they tried installing the drivers locally instead of printing through the server which worked.

My thought is that Microsoft puked some update last night or this morning which created a permissions problem on the server. Any server people out there with any suggestions?

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Access denied printing through Server

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I have an elementary school district who about 2 weeks ago replaced their Windows Server 2008 R2 with a new Windows Server 2016. They have 2 Ricoh MFP, a MP 9001 and a MP C6501. At that time, I worked with their IT to get user codes entered into the drivers for their computers so they could print. This morning they suddenly could not print at all. Error logs on the MFPs showed no activity after about 8:00AM PST. Prior there were a couple of print data errors a day. Attempting to print the test page from one of the computers in the office, got an error message. Checking the printer queue on the computer it show "Access Denied". Their IT service was on their way out and when they arrived, they tried installing the drivers locally instead of printing through the server which worked.

My thought is that Microsoft puked some update last night or this morning which created a permissions problem on the server. Any server people out there with any suggestions?
    Unusual that all printing hardware is off line at same time.
    Common to all print hardware is both the server and the router(s).
    First off I'm leaning toward a hardware router or a switch might be at fault.

I assume the Network is setup with fixed IP into all MFD's and DHCP into the school computers ?

What about oversize scans-to-folder in the Server side shared directory ?
    Does the school IT have a fix limit in the share folder file size, therefore producing "Access Denied" ?
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Restart print spooler or simply power cycle the server in downtime?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Are the printers shared on the server to 'Everyone' or just to specific groups? See if you can few the security properties on the queue for the server: at the very least the Everyone or Authenticated Users groups should have print permissions. If they are broken down by actual groups for permissions, are the users in the proper group to print? One other thing to try: can you access the printer by using the SMB path for it: \\server-name\print-queue-name (A shared printer really is nothing more than an SMB share at its core)?

This is really an issue for the IT group to solve. For an update to go to a server overnight and install without their intervention means they've firstly done a terrible job of setting up their update scheduling: any organisation with an infrastructure should be using WSUS or some other update management system. Between that and not being able to set up permissions on a print queue it doesn't sound like you're dealing with the brightest bulbs in the batch. If the machine prints via IP, the machine side of things is fine.

Being on the IT side of the house more than the MFP side now, it's issues like this that really make me frustrated with the poor state of customer IT.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Maybe the server is passing the data, but not the user codes.

Assuming that these aren't Fiery MFPs, could you run a card save and see what is coming off the wire, and see if the user codes are there?

Another (easier) way would be have the server pint to file, and grab it from there.

Also, which driver are they using, and is it the latest?
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Being on the IT side of the house more than the MFP side now, it's issues like this that really make me frustrated with the poor state of customer IT.
    I feel your on a productive career path.

Business, Schools, Gov't will be taking I.T. security concerns more serious when stolen/hacked business information is sold to their rival opposition on a regular basis.

The Gov't here in Oz have started new University courses dealing directly with business cyber security.

Database information is harmless, it's when the database information moves from the virtual world to physical world where the information can become a latent powerbase.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Most likely local PC don't have access to server , delete the local printer and try to reinstall from server , if it asks for a login that's the problem
    enter login and check remember login

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi.

Remove the option "Enable advanced Printing optins" in Advanced TAB in printer properties.

drivers.JPG

(I had this problema once and after a print capture I found that the user codes were missing. It was solved by desabling the "Enable advanced Printing optins")