Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: MAC gutenprint do not have usercode selection.issue is it possible to program it?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The open source community has more people interested in making it work. Apple would rather sell Post Script language packages to other manufacturers.
    Keep in mind that Adobe actually maintains the PostScript language. Apple used it as the basis of CUPS because of the number of Macs using Adobe products for design, and also because it didn't need licensing from HP like PCL. CUPS has been adopted by all of the Unix and Linux operating systems because it is quite flexible.

Apple has no real interest in making things work with Macs anymore than they have to since they are primarily a hardware company, and have always been a 'our way, or no way' kind of company. The open source community has a much greater incentive to have a working feature because of the portability of most projects, and the fact that they don't have to worry about the profit side of the equation to the extent that a company like Apple does where they sell the rights to call a product Mac compatible.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: MAC gutenprint do not have usercode selection.issue is it possible to program it?

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Keep in mind that Adobe actually maintains the PostScript language. Apple used it as the basis of CUPS because of the number of Macs using Adobe products for design, and also because it didn't need licensing from HP like PCL. CUPS has been adopted by all of the Unix and Linux operating systems because it is quite flexible.

Apple has no real interest in making things work with Macs anymore than they have to since they are primarily a hardware company, and have always been a 'our way, or no way' kind of company. The open source community has a much greater incentive to have a working feature because of the portability of most projects, and the fact that they don't have to worry about the profit side of the equation to the extent that a company like Apple does where they sell the rights to call a product Mac compatible.
    I second your observations!...Apple is ripping people off!...they are making it "Their Ecosystem" which is good in that it maintains consistence of experience across their devices...iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc., etc....but that's about where it ends! When you add a peripheral, new or older, your "good feeling" experience may end there! I have an iPhone but mostly use Windows 7 & Ubuntu. Thank Goodness for iCloud.com so I can update any contact info or notes when I don't have my iPhone in my pocket!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post

CUPS is flexible? Give me a break!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MFPTech View Post
    CUPS is flexible? Give me a break!

Compare CUPS on any Linux system to the crap implementation of it that Apple has on their machines. You can't even change the driver type on a Mac without either completely deleting the printer or turning on the CUPS web interface. With CUPS, you really don't even need a driver: you just need a PPD, which is just a glorified text file of the features supported by the printer. With the information from that file, CUPS can support almost every feature of a device.

Even the universal drivers that everyone has for Windows systems is just an attempt to bolt CUPS features into Windows.

CUPS is the bottleneck.