Senior Technician 50+ Posts mrfixit's Avatar

Canon ir3035 nic locking up and dropping off the network

I have a Canon ir3035 that periodically drops off the network and a restart will bring it back to life. We have tried replacing the nic but it didn't help with the problem. I have showed up when the problem was happening and connected directly to the machine with a crossover cable and was unable to ping the machine from my laptop. I have just tried locking the speed of the nic and the port at 100 base t full duplex and am waiting to see if the problem reoccours. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ray

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Canon ir3035 nic locking up and dropping off the network

Well, until a tech familiar with the current Canons pipes up, I have a couple of suggestions you may want to consider.
    Try pinging the machine's address after it drops off the network. If the ping succeeds, something else has likely taken over its IP address.
    Some things that may help if that turns out to be the case (may require access to the print driver on the server/computer):
    A static IP address for the machine with the first octets being 192 and 168, (the third octet is usually 001, but without seeing the machine or the network it is on I am not sure),
    If the machine already has a static IP address, try pinging similar IP addresses until one fails and assign that as the static address to the machine, or
    Something that a tech that is familiar with current Canon tech advises you to do. And this one is probably the most important, as I mainly only worked on analog Canon stuff.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Is the machine holding the IP info?

Try turning it off for 20 minutes or so and see if it's still there.

The battery on the DC controller goes dead over the years, and may need to be replaced.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

assign a new ip address to machine Not a a cannon but had a print driver from an old machine hose up the network card as it could not understand the commands, a reboot fixed it on temp until we give it a new ip address

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Well, until a tech familiar with the current Canons pipes up, I have a couple of suggestions you may want to consider.
    Try pinging the machine's address after it drops off the network. If the ping succeeds, something else has likely taken over its IP address.
    Some things that may help if that turns out to be the case (may require access to the print driver on the server/computer):
    A static IP address for the machine with the first octets being 192 and 168, (the third octet is usually 001, but without seeing the machine or the network it is on I am not sure),
    If the machine already has a static IP address, try pinging similar IP addresses until one fails and assign that as the static address to the machine, or
    Something that a tech that is familiar with current Canon tech advises you to do. And this one is probably the most important, as I mainly only worked on analog Canon stuff.
    I am a Ricoh tech so not sure about Canon, but with Ricoh, once an IP conflict occurs the network card disables until power is cycled. I had a county water agency that had a similar problem, the only difference is that it would show an IP conflict to include the mac of the conflicting computer. Their current IT said that he had checked and none of their computers, to include the laptops used by field techs had that mac. They had me change the IP address to the next one in sequence. Next day, same conflict. I did some further checking of the network IP assignments and found that the 2 IP addresses plus one more were assigned for use by a VPN that their current IT knew nothing about. Apparently county IT needed to come in occasionally to check/update county software.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Don't know if you are sorted yet but worth switching off Multicast Discovery under network settings, had this cause strange issues
    Multicast.jpg

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

+1 on the IP Conflict...

+1 on Multicast Discovery...

One other thing to look into is if they're running Power Over Ethernet on that port. P.O.E. can cause Canon network cards to lock up, and it'll even fry the Control Panel CPU on some of the Advanced series models. It got to the point where we would actually MAKE custom Ethernet cables with just the data lines connected, tand take the lines where power gets applied completely out of the mix. It'll prevent the machine from running at Gigabit Ethernet speed, but does a copier REALLY need Gigabit speed?

Good Luck!