Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Silly question....

Silly question....

I'm trying to help an end user of mine configure an old Ricoh machine to use at a sort of isolated location - or at least a LONG way from me

Long story, short: My only option for scanning is to configure it to scan FTP to an IP address.
    He has a laptop that is NOT used to connect to the internet at this location, but it's used elsewhere, so a static IP is not an option.

Question: Will the laptop always use the same IP address (for example: 169.254.58.125) when connected directly to the device with a network cable, or might it vary at times - which would obviously be a problem?
    I've fooled around a bit with my own, and it's always used the same one.

Thanks in advance

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Silly question....

You didn't say which OS the laptop is running, but you may be able to bind a second IP to it's NIC.

If I remember, it's the "Alternate IP Address" setting.

Make it static, and maybe an address of 172.16.1.1 or the like, but something not likely to be assigned in a subnet which he may visit.

Give the MFP 172.16.1.2 (something the static address can get to), and it should work

I have zero confidence in using the 169.254.x.x range, I have never had any luck with it.

Worth a shot!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Interesting question. As I understand it, in the absence of a DHCP server, a computer will 'choose' and address in the APIPA address space and ping it to verify availability. If it does not get a response the address will be deemed available and the PC will use it, otherwise it will choose another address and repeat the check until it finds an available address.

The question then really is how does the PC choose the address to start with? I always thought it used a randomizing algorithm to generate the third and fourth octets, which could be anything each time an APIPA address was used. Maybe the starting address is keyed to something unique to the individual PC and randomized only if the address is deemed unavailable.

Silly question....

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    You didn't say which OS the laptop is running, but you may be able to bind a second IP to it's NIC.

If I remember, it's the "Alternate IP Address" setting.

I have zero confidence in using the 169.254.x.x range, I have never had any luck with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Interesting question. As I understand it, in the absence of a DHCP server, a computer will 'choose' and address in the APIPA address space and ping it to verify availability. If it does not get a response the address will be deemed available and the PC will use it, otherwise it will choose another address and repeat the check until it finds an available address.......
    Haha...thanks for the input fellas.....and making me feel that much more inferior in this area
    You lost me at "Hello"

Ken, I don't actually have an internet connection at my shop. I just piggy back off my phone data when I need it, so I actually connect a lot of devices for testing with a direct connection, and my Laptop always uses the same IP, and I never have a problem scanning to FTP or otherwise with the 169.254.x.x. It just comes up as a public network, and I have it set up to allow printer/folder sharing, etc.
    BTW....we're talking about a Windows 10 system.
    I have no idea where to go to "bind a second IP", so maybe you could point me in that direction and I can fool around.

Thanks again

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Silly question....

Network and Sharing Center - Change Adapter Settings. Right click on your adapter and select Properties. TCP/IPv4 - Alternate Configuration tab.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Silly question....

Out of interest why cant your client scan to folder (SMB) ?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

If I interpret your question, you wish to have a Ricoh MFD scan forward to a roaming (worldwide) laptop with unknown IP address.

How old is the Ricoh ?
    Is scan to email available on the MFD ?
    If so, setup scan to email with any gmail account (as a fixed IP address so to speak), and your friend can access the gmail account any where
    in the world. Have the MFD read the gmail account every 15 mins and print out the emails or forward them onto your own local PC.

This will set your friends laptop IP address to a static fixed IP address.
    Make sure "Lan" is the correct name of your friends Ethernet net work, other wise change "Lan" in the below text to suite.

Netsh parameters in order : "Lan", FixedIP , NetMask, GatewayIP, StateFlag=1

Example:
    netsh interface ip set address "Lan" static 10.1.1.3 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.1 1

This will set your friend IP address back to DHCP.
    Example:
    netsh int ip set address name = "Lan" source = dhcp
    ipconfig /renew

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Silly question....

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Network and Sharing Center - Change Adapter Settings. Right click on your adapter and select Properties. TCP/IPv4 - Alternate Configuration tab.
    Thanks Tim. That was easy, and I think exactly what I need to do

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    If I interpret your question, you wish to have a Ricoh MFD scan forward to a roaming (worldwide) laptop with unknown IP address.

How old is the Ricoh ?
    Is scan to email available on the MFD ?
    If so, setup scan to email with any gmail account (as a fixed IP address so to speak), and your friend can access the gmail account any where
    in the world. Have the MFD read the gmail account every 15 mins and print out the emails or forward them onto your own local PC.
    Thanks Neo, but there is currently no internet connection at the location. It's an old AF2027, and he's just looking for basic scanning and printing capabilities. It's been out of service for some time, but works surprisingly well. I'm going to set it up for him at his local office before he transports it to his farm which is a couple of hours away

me also I have this kind of client problem, the mfp is located on the construction site, I used the loop back ip, in printing and ftp scan, i know this kinda weird option but its worth trying for. because most of IT will stick to the theory or books or whatever it is. that this will not work, but I did it. And one thing, I have done this connection on a peer to peer only.
    .....with all it shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.....

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Thanks Tim. That was easy, and I think exactly what I need to do

Thanks Neo, but there is currently no internet connection at the location. It's an old AF2027, and he's just looking for basic scanning and printing capabilities. It's been out of service for some time, but works surprisingly well. I'm going to set it up for him at his local office before he transports it to his farm which is a couple of hours away
    Okay...
    You'll require a simply cat5 cross over cable for direct connection from the laptop to the MFD. Set a fixed IP in the MFD and a FixedIp in the Laptop and off you go. Turn off DHCP in the MFD

HINT:
    Set the DNS and Gateway of the "MFD" to the same NIC IP as the LapTop.
    Example Settings:
    LapTop IP : 10.1.1.5
    LapTop Net_Mask: 255.255.255.0

MFD IP 10.1.1.9
    MFD Net_Mask : 255.255.255.0
    MFD Gateway : 10.1.1.5
    MFD DNS1 : 10.1.1.5

Set up normal Printing servers on the laptop with SMB scanning.

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••