Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

SMB1 turned off in latest security update

We have a number of Sharp MXC300W machines in a company here in the U.K. And following the ransomware attack last week, the IT guys have implemented some new security updates and one of them
    Is to switch off SMB1. Since doing this the Sharp machines won't scan and give the CE-00 code consult your network administrator.

According to Sharp the MXC300W uses SMB2 so why switching off smb1 seems to have stopped it working seems odd??

They are going to reboot the server and router etc tonight to see if that cures the issue.

Anyone come across anything like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: SMB1 turned off in latest security update

Quote Originally Posted by Leebs14 View Post
    We have a number of Sharp MXC300W machines in a company here in the U.K. And following the ransomware attack last week, the IT guys have implemented some new security updates and one of them
    Is to switch off SMB1. Since doing this the Sharp machines won't scan and give the CE-00 code consult your network administrator.

According to Sharp the MXC300W uses SMB2 so why switching off smb1 seems to have stopped it working seems odd??

They are going to reboot the server and router etc tonight to see if that cures the issue.

Anyone come across anything like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Microsoft introduced Windows 8/Server 2012R2, they went to SMB 3, It was supposed to br backward compatible. It was not for most MFPs. At least for the US, most MFP manufactures wrote new firmware to accommodate SMB 32. You may need to update firmware

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

The following devices support SMBv1 and SMBv2

MXC301W
    MX-M266N/316N/356N
    MX-M364N/464N/564N
    MX-M365N/465N/565N
    MX-M654N/754N
    MX-M1055/1205

The following devices support SMBv1, SMBv2 and SMBv3

MX3050N/3550N/4050N/5050N/6050N
    MX3060N/3560N/4060N
    MX3070N/3570N/4070N/5070N/6070N

All other devices that support scan to network folder support SMBv1 only.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Heads up to all, The new Windows 10 security update is killing SMB scan to folder. I assumed that because my Ricoh units has firmware that supports SMB V3 that this was not going to be a problem. Ricoh has confirmed that the new MS updates are disabling SMB and they are working on a solution for a fix but it is going to take time. I had a customers IT department confirm to me yesterday that after rolling back the update their new Ricoh units were able to scan to folder but because of the damage that this virus can cause they reinstalled the update. They will use email for the time being.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    Heads up to all, The new Windows 10 security update is killing SMB scan to folder. I assumed that because my Ricoh units has firmware that supports SMB V3 that this was not going to be a problem. Ricoh has confirmed that the new MS updates are disabling SMB and they are working on a solution for a fix but it is going to take time. I had a customers IT department confirm to me yesterday that after rolling back the update their new Ricoh units were able to scan to folder but because of the damage that this virus can cause they reinstalled the update. They will use email for the time being.
    It's going to be interesting to see just how far back Ricoh goes for adding SMB2 to their devices. My hope would be that at the very least the MP models would have support for the feature activated, after all it's likely just a simple change in the samba config file.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    From what I have come to understand, the security update is turning off only the SMB v1 portion. Even though current Ricoh firmware can scan to SMB v3, it still depends on SMB v1 for initial connection, then hands off to the v3 portion of the firmware for actually writing the file to the target. This is based on the fact that older machines that needed update gave a failure to write to target error.

I have to attend a MPC307 (released last year), that is having 'trouble' scanning to folder.

More than likely SMB has been disabled on the server by their I.T.

For now all I can recommend is the customer either scans to folder on an isolated server, or to email.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

[QUOTE=ruben;564018]I have to attend a MPC307 (released last year), that is having 'trouble' scanning to folder.

More than likely SMB has been disabled on the server by their I.T./[Quote]

Most likely turned off by the Microsoft security patch.

For now all I can recommend is the customer either scans to folder on an isolated server, or to email.
    You mean that for a change you are not recommending FTP?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts mbcruzin's Avatar

I also have a Sharp MX266N that will not scan to folder. Machine works fine for Scan to email. Also machine doesn't have a HDD

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Has Ricoh released any TSB or announcement on the SMB1 issue yet?