Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ricoh MP301 drops from network, cannot scan to folder

Client versions of Windows have a concurrency limit on incoming CIFS/SMB connections. I think it's 20 in Windows 7. If other people are accessing shares on the computer, or it's also sharing printers, you might be running into that limit.

Twenty may sound ample, but Windows isn't always great at freeing up connections that are no longer in use.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pebkac View Post
    Client versions of Windows have a concurrency limit on incoming CIFS/SMB connections. I think it's 20 in Windows 7. If other people are accessing shares on the computer, or it's also sharing printers, you might be running into that limit.

Twenty may sound ample, but Windows isn't always great at freeing up connections that are no longer in use.
    You are correct with the 20 concurrent connections; it's listed under section 3e in the EULA. (A quick Google search found that).

I agree with what you said about Windoze not being too anxious to free up unused connections.
    Last edited by KenB; 07-31-2017 at 11:22 PM.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP301 drops from network, cannot scan to folder

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    You are correct with the 20 concurrent connections; it's listed under section 3f in the EULA. (A quick Google search found that).

I agree with what you said about Windoze not being too anxious to free up unused connections.
    My experience is that once another computer has accessed a shared resource connection, that connection remains until that computer logs off. This is in the EULA, End User License Agreement, to discourage companies from trying to work station computers as servers. I believe that this would also affect FTP connections. Prior to Windows 7 the limit was 10.

I think the reason I have had very little problems with scan to folder is that most of my customer that used a high volume of scanning did so to their servers.

https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-ma...ows-7-computer

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    My experience is that once another computer has accessed a shared resource connection, that connection remains until that computer logs off. This is in the EULA, End User License Agreement, to discourage companies from trying to work station computers as servers. I believe that this would also affect FTP connections. Prior to Windows 7 the limit was 10.

I think the reason I have had very little problems with scan to folder is that most of my customer that used a high volume of scanning did so to their servers.

Well, that opens up another question, although it's way off topic for this thread. Sorry about that.

Fieries and other external RIPs are mostly Windows based, especially in recent history.

They act as (and are) print servers, service an unlimited number of clients, and are built on a Windows workstation platform.

I wonder if they have a different license that allows the higher number of connections? I would think they do.

This has come up several times over the years, but I don't think I ever heard a definitive answer.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Well, that opens up another question, although it's way off topic for this thread. Sorry about that.

Fieries and other external RIPs are mostly Windows based, especially in recent history.

They act as (and are) print servers, service an unlimited number of clients, and are built on a Windows workstation platform.

I wonder if they have a different license that allows the higher number of connections? I would think they do.

This has come up several times over the years, but I don't think I ever heard a definitive answer.
    Most likely has to do with the Fiery software. The people to ask to be certain is EFI. Electronics for Imaging

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post

One easy way to see which connections are being held open would be to go to a command prompt, and type "nbtstat".

There are a ton of switches available, but just typing the command would be a good start.

To list open sessions you would run net session from an elevated cmd prompt.

Note that this is specifically about CIFS/SMB, or Windows file and printer sharing. The limitation does not apply to (for instance) a third party FTP server, so that's a potential workaround.

I think that Fiery listens on standard printing ports (9100, IPP, etc) rather than SMB. Don't quote me on that.
    Last edited by pebkac; 08-01-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pebkac View Post
    To list open sessions you would run net session from an elevated cmd prompt.

Note that this is specifically about CIFS/SMB, or Windows file and printer sharing. The limitation does not apply to (for instance) a third party FTP server, so that's a potential workaround.

I think that Fiery listens on standard printing ports (9100, IPP, etc) rather than SMB. Don't quote me on that.
    I took another look at the link I posted to article on nextofwindows. The limit of 20 concurrent connections applies to Windows services only. These include File Services (SMB and Windows FTP server), Print Services, IIS, Internet Connection Sharing, and Telephony. It does not apply to third party software services such as Fiery or third party FTP as they provide their own licensed connection services.

A packet capture will clarify the issue. Machines drop off the network mostly due to link flap on the switches.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk