Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Angry Server 2012 r2 with Gmail

Greetings,

OK, this is a bit of a weird one.

I spent about 4 hours on it today doing tons of research and experimentation, but no dice.

I have a customer with a document management solution that runs on Server 2012 r2.

They use Gmail.

Gmail can both send and receive when using I.E. or Chrome on the server.

If I right click a file and select "Send to Email", I get a message that there is no default email setting in Control Panel.

Any preference as to what email app (Thunderbird, Opera, etc...) that will "front end" Gmail, and still play nice with Server 2012?

The application can't interface directly with Gmail as is; it must use the default email app on the server.

I don't want to just start trying different email apps, as this just recently became a production server.

Thanks!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Re: Server 2012 r2 with Gmail

Gmail and Thunderbird have always worked well for me.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Server 2012 r2 with Gmail

needs to be email software like Outlook (MAPI compliant) not web based like Gmail. You can install Outlook and have Outlook access Gmail.

check out MAPI for GMAIL , just saw it on web, MAPI4GMAIL.com

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

needs to be email program loaded on pc/server like outlook(MAPI compliant) . GMAIL is web based. also you can try mapi4gmail.com,

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ldharnden View Post
    Gmail and Thunderbird have always worked well for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by faxman28 View Post
    needs to be email software like Outlook (MAPI compliant) not web based like Gmail. You can install Outlook and have Outlook access Gmail.

check out MAPI for GMAIL , just saw it on web, MAPI4GMAIL.com
    Quote Originally Posted by faxman28 View Post
    needs to be email program loaded on pc/server like outlook(MAPI compliant) . GMAIL is web based. also you can try mapi4gmail.com,
    Mozilla Thunderbird is a PC/Server based email program. You will have to configure the gmail to allow POP/IMAP. You may have to turn ON "Access for less secure app" for some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Thanks, guys.

I appreciate the answers.

One thing I was considering was the Windows Mail app (which disappeared with Server 2008).

It can be added by enabling the Windows Desktop Experience, then going to the App Store to download the the Mail App.

I found instructions as to how to get it to work with Gmail.

I'm trying to keep it an "all Microsoft solution" if possible, so that the customer can never come back with "That's a third party app. We never approved it. It's evil and must be destroyed."
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Thanks, guys.

I appreciate the answers.

One thing I was considering was the Windows Mail app (which disappeared with Server 2008).

It can be added by enabling the Windows Desktop Experience, then going to the App Store to download the the Mail App.

I found instructions as to how to get it to work with Gmail.

I'm trying to keep it an "all Microsoft solution" if possible, so that the customer can never come back with "That's a third party app. We never approved it. It's evil and must be destroyed."
    That is a GREAT idea o keep it in the family. Good luck!

Man About Town 250+ Posts CanonSco's Avatar

MS "MAIL" is making a resurgence in Windows 10. Was one of the few things I liked in the previews of Vista.
    Yes, I am a nerd.
    Gaming PC - check. Raspberry Pi - Check. Custom ROM on phone - check. Thick glasses - check.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Their 'server' app sounds like it's built for a glorified desktop rather than one built for a system that should be running completely headless with no-one regularly logging into it. What's the name of the software? Is it possible that it's actually built for a workstation or kiosk as opposed to a server? Is there a web interface for it that can do most of the work from a remote machine?

Once you start adding in additional software like a mail client it becomes one more thing to get patched, and as a rule servers should have as little client level software on them as possible. Granted, that's not always possible but it is something to consider. A lot of business customers are more than happy to buy software without ever taking into account whether they, or the salesweasel, is actually giving them what they really need.

I agree with rthonpm. The whole thing sounds fishy. A document management system that relies on the default mail client is just broken. It doesn't make sense. Even PowerShell has an SMTP client cmdlet.

Does this software not support email at all, or is there some kind of problem specific to Gmail?

And what's the name of this software, so that we can laugh at it?