Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Windows password protected sharing

On many installs, we turn off password protected sharing when doing smb scanning. Works fine and helps when customers can not remember their login password. Problem is that Windows/Updates/Antivirus keeps enabling password protected sharing.

Anybody know of a way to lock it or prevent it from turning back on?

Re: Windows password protected sharing

Would it not be easier to just create a new user in lusrmgr.msc? (Assuming you are using a Pro or higher version of Windows).

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHM View Post
    On many installs, we turn off password protected sharing when doing smb scanning. Works fine and helps when customers can not remember their login password. Problem is that Windows/Updates/Antivirus keeps enabling password protected sharing.

Anybody know of a way to lock it or prevent it from turning back on?
    When you are sharing the folder are you using standard sharing or advanced sharing? From Win7 forward, unless you use advanced sharing windows will block a "generic" sharing of the folder and an update will re-enable the block. You state that you turn off password protected sharing, I do not know of a setting in Windows that allows this? If you are referring to "Everybody" in sharing you still need to do this in the advanced sharing mode. Since you do not state which OS you are working with it makes it more difficult to provide a more detailed resolution to the problem. Are the users on a network or setup to scan on an individual basis? Makes a big difference!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The best practice is to leave password protected sharing on since otherwise you're leaving a potential risk to the customer, especially if you don't also support them for IT.

For local machines not tied to a domain in the same company, I try to create a common account that the MFP(s) use to scan to authenticate to any share folders and then create the same account on all of the workstations. or a domain environment, depending on the customer either I create, or their onsite IT (we do both IT and copiers), creates a domain user account that the MFP can use to authenticate which is then denied the ability to log into any computer as a security precaution. In either instance, the PC sees data coming from a user account that it recognises and most authentication issues are resolved.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

I set up scan to email for all my clients, they can simply save the pdf to their desktop as required.
    Even if they change their Windows password or even upadte the PC/server scan to email is not affected.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for all the replies.

In our area we deal with a lot of small offices. No IT staff and most can barely remember their passwords. For a while I would use lusrmgr to create a local account. Problem I started running into on some OSs is that would bring up a login screen when customers restarted their computer. Normally if there was only one user it would not display the login screen.

For these small accounts, the everyone account and turning off password protected sharing was a quick solution but like I mentioned, it is continually being disabled. Looks like I will just go back to creating a local non domain user account when needed.

I do push customers towards email but many scan too many pages to be practical.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

In our area we deal with a lot of small offices. No IT staff and most can barely remember their passwords. For a while I would use lusrmgr to create a local account. Problem I started running into on some OSs is that would bring up a login screen when customers restarted their computer. Normally if there was only one user it would not display the login screen.

For these small accounts, the everyone account and turning off password protected sharing was a quick solution but like I mentioned, it is continually being disabled. Looks like I will just go back to creating a local non domain user account when needed.

Gmail you can send 100's of email per day for most customers thats ample.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Gmail you can send 100's of email per day for most customers thats ample.

500 is the daily limit.

Many customers prefer scanning directly to a folder versus checking a bunch of emails and then saving the attachments. Many are also bandwidth challenged and too many pages will exceed their attachment size limitations

But I am with you, if I can persuade them to do email, I do. Especially in high employee turnover accounts.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

If you have end users who do not want to have to login each time they turn their computer on, this might help. You can crate a login name and password to use for scan to folder and then setup auto login to use their original login name.
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-do-i-auto-login-to-windows-2626066

MFP Tech & I.T. Manager 100+ Posts MFPs R Now PCs's Avatar

Cool Re: Windows password protected sharing

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    I set up scan to email for all my clients, they can simply save the pdf to their desktop as required.
    Even if they change their Windows password or even upadte the PC/server scan to email is not affected.
    Really? Nice customers! MOST of our customers cannot stand it if even one additional click is involved with anything on a copier. For example using scan to email and they want to send a scan to a customer via email but want to create a new email, not forward one. This happens all of the time when switching manufactures and now they have to click two extra buttons. Geez Louise... have you noticed that it's totally acceptable that something on your phone might require 10 clicks to accomplish on your phone yet can be done in 1/3 of that on a PC; but one extra click on a copier, unacceptable! LOL
    Last edited by MFPs R Now PCs; 10-04-2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: forgot an icon
    It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. –Confucius