Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Internet fax for ricoh MP 3352

Have a customer who is using efax to receive faxes. Customer would like to get Reid of fax telephone line and to use the internet for faxes. I have never set one up before using internet fax . I have read manual but it is not start forward how to configure it. I would appreciate any help on this setup. There IT person said would email to fax with a pdf doc on receive side. I did read that faxing out only in a tiff format. Have they made it to be able to change to pdf format.

thanks for any help in this process

Re: Internet fax for ricoh MP 3352

OK, I figure out how to setup to email out on fax and set to pdf format but on receive side set up pop3 info but still missing something not getting email printing on receive side.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

Could you explain the procedure. I too have have had an issue getting an easy to understand manual on the situation. I did gather that the File Transfer tab was involved.
    Thank you for Reading and Responding

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Why don't they just scan to a folder and use the Efax software to send. I think that Efax even has the ability to use the twain driver to do a pull scan directly to their software.

when i get it working will post info also efax is cost them money. They want to get rid of it. Doctor office does a lot of faxing and receiving faxes

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Firstly the term "Internet Fax" is now a generic term often thrown out there to describe faxing over a TCP/IP network, however it's not a good idea to use this term as it can become confusing and you're better off using terms or acronyms like VoIP, FoIP etc

The true or traditional "Internet Fax" or "iFax" (T.37) was developed way back before e-mail hit the mainstream and uses SMTP, however it requires the receiving fax machine to also be configured to the T.37 standard to work. T.37 never really took off, however many MFP's have this protocol available. Some MFP vendors have their own take on "Internet Fax" as well and usually it will only work on their brand of device, which makes "Internet Fax" even more confusing for the end user and customer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.37

Technically it's possible to fax to another businesses fax machine via T.37, however how many fax machines out there are correctly configured for T.37 faxing?! I've never needed to setup T.37 and I've visited thousands of different businesses over many many years.

If your customer is no longer going to have an analogue line available for faxing then unfortunately they're going to have to use something like efax to send faxes, which will still comes at a cost. Unfortunately it's near impossible to fax to another fax machine in a different business without the use of a traditional analogue line somewhere along the route, unless you force them to adopt T.37.
    Last edited by ApeosMan; 09-30-2017 at 01:40 AM.