Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    FTP in Mac OSX 10.13 High Sierra

Hi all,

It appears that Apple has decided to remove the native FTP server in Mac OSX 10.13, which means we don't have the option of enabling it via Terminal.

For our Sharp copiers, FTP was the best way to scan files to Macs.

Anyone know of a free FTP solution to add to a Mac to re-enable FTP scan to folder?

Thanks!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: FTP in Mac OSX 10.13 High Sierra

There's always Filezilla.
    Download FileZilla Client for Mac OS X

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, but Fillezilla doesn't have an FTP server option for Mac. It has only the client software, which won't help us in this instance.

I've been playing with Pure-FTPd, which is pure command line and am still working through it, when I have free time.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Codex's Avatar

Hello
    I use a canon tool, that creates a new user named "canon" and enables the ftp service and it works fine for me,tried last week on sierra

Edit:i worked on Sierra 10.12!
    Last edited by Codex; 10-13-2017 at 02:39 PM.
    Memento Audere Semper

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Have you tried SMB?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

ZombieMccartney

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    Hello
    I use a canon tool, that creates a new user named "canon" and enables the ftp service and it works fine for me,tried last week on sierra

Edit:i worked on Sierra 10.12!

What tool did you use exactly? I have the same issue in my office, but I am not sure what steps you took to fix this issue.
    Last edited by ZombieMccartney; 10-20-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

As for SMB, the Sharp's don't play nice with Macs. I've never gotten it to work using SMB and I've seen a Sharp Tech Bulletin basically saying that changes to the Mac OSX some versions ago broke SMB from Sharp copiers to Macs.

I suspect the Canon tool probably won't work in OSX10.13, if it enables the built-in FTP, since it is now gone.

I'll get the Pure-FTPd working in near future, if I ever get a chance to commit an hour to it. Work has been crazy!!!

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

**COMPLETELY EXPERIMENTAL**

I can get proftpd installed on macOS High Sierra 10.13 using the following terminal commands:

Code:
    /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
    Code:
    brew install proftpd
    Code:
    brew services start proftpd
    That is as far as I've managed to get though.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to configure proftpd and successfully login using a FTP client.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I did get it to work using Pure-FTPd. I first tried using the Homebrew installer, but I was having a hard time figuring out where to do the configuration. So I uninstalled, and then did a straight, manual install.

After quite a few hurdles, I got it to work. I'll post barebones instructions when I get a chance. I plan to uninstall and redo from scratch to make sure I got everything right and will gladly share more detailed instructions then.

I was able to send to a folder on the Mac from the Sharp copier (I could also Filezilla into the Mac).

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

So here is my attempt at the quick and dirty of getting pure-ftpd to run on a Mac and authenticate using Mac accounts. I had originally tackled this using Homebrew to do the install, but I had difficulty knowing where to make the appropriate configuration changes. By configuring and compiling it manually, you can then configure it using its documentation.

So, first, you need to download the tarball (ZIP file) from pureftpd.org I used the 1.0.46 release (of course, they added the newest release today 1.0.47), but the steps should be pretty much the same for all releases. So, I downloaded: pure-ftpd-1.0.46.tar.gz

So, get the file and put it in whatever directory you want on the Mac. I left it in my Downloads directory.

Open up Terminal and go to the directory with the downloaded tarball. Extract it. Next, change into the extracted directory. You will then configure the installation. Last, you will compile and install. Here is the code (assuming it is in Downloads and is version 1.0.46).

Code:
    cd ~/Downloads                            <- change to Downloads directory ->

tar xzf pure-ftpd-1.0.46.tar.gz        <- extract the tarball ->

cd pure-ftpd-1.0.46                       <- change into extracted folder ->

./configure --with-everything --with-virtualchroot --without-humor        <-this configures the installer. You may also need the --with-pam switch ->

sudo make install-strip                  <- compile and install ->
    At this point, it should be installed and ready to be run. The FTP server executable is in the /usr/local/sbin directory.

So, change to that directory and start the server.

So, run this:

Code:
    cd /usr/local/sbin          <- change to the appropriate directory
    sudo ./pure-ftpd &        <- start the server
    If you test at this time using FileZilla, it should be able to connect anonymously, but not be able to upload. If you try to use the credentials of a user on the Mac, it should give an authentication error. At the least, you should be able to tell that the server is up and running.

You need to set up PAM authentication. To do this, you need to create a pure-ftpd file and put it in the /etc/pam.d/ directory.

Here is the sample file that should work. Remember that it is named: pure-ftpd

Code:
    # pure-ftpd: auth account password session <- this is just a comment line 

auth           required       pam_opendirectory.so
    account      required       pam_permit.so
    password    required       pam_deny.so
    session      required       pam_permit.so
    After placing that file in the /etc/pam.d/ directory, run the server start command again.

Code:
    cd /usr/local/sbin
    sudo ./pure-ftpd &
    Test it again using FileZilla, and you should now be able to authenticate using a Mac user's credentials and then be able to browse that user's Home directory structure.

Once you get it to work, you need to ensure that it runs at start-up. I haven't tackled that little issue, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Hopefully, this is enough to get you in the right direction and if you do have any hiccups, you can figure it out. I had tried a lot of things before succeeding, so it's possible that I missed some step, although I did uninstall it and redo it using this and it worked.

Good Luck!