Senior Tech 100+ Posts xring1958's Avatar

Sharp MX- 503 connectivity issue

OK Guys here is a weird one that I am posting in Sharpsection and Connectivity section.
    We have a Sharp MX-503 that we installed about six monthsago that immediately had connectivity issues. The customers IT departmentseemed to solve it but now claims it has been an ongoing issue.
    Their IP Range is kind of weird like 172.16.41.55 as anexample. When we enter an IP address that has been used for a previous MFP we cannotping the address or connect to the machines imbedded web page. If we allow DHCPto select the address we can ping and connect to web page. If we make that a static address the machinewill stay connected until it is either turned off or goes into sleep mode. Itwill usually not be connected by next morning but not always.
    Yesterday I took a newer model a MX-365 and attempted toconnect to the network with the MX-503s IP address it is doing as I described Iwent from a 503 that I could ping and connect to, to a 365 that won’t connectwith the exact same IP address. Sharphad a series of things to try that had no impact and the customers IT Department says they have done all they cando. We feel something sees the IPaddress and blocks it however the customer says their HP Printers have noIssues. We even connected to an old HP Printers IP address and it worked untilwe turned it off and on. When we connecton our network at our office the units behave normally. Any help is appreciated

Re: Sharp MX- 503 connectivity issue

Did they do a DHCP mac address reservation for the ip address?

or you may have a device grabbing the same ip address. ie cell phones

did you ping the ip address it had?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

This sounds like a problem that is found on high end stacked routers and switches. The first an IP address is used, either by DHCP or manually configured, the network MAC,media access control, address is stored and in the future, that IP address is reserved to that MAC address. Any other device, with a different MAC, that tries to use the same IP address will be locked out of the network.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    This sounds like a problem that is found on high end stacked routers and switches. The first an IP address is used, either by DHCP or manually configured, the network MAC,media access control, address is stored and in the future, that IP address is reserved to that MAC address. Any other device, with a different MAC, that tries to use the same IP address will be locked out of the network.
    This would be using a static IP within the DHCP range, which should not be done. There is also a mask range for IPs somewhere but can't remember where
    When I started servicing copiers they used toaster ovens for fusers.....I'm old

Technician

I don't know why my answer seems to work but is has worked for 3 small kyocera's and now a SHARP MX-5001. I inserted a small 4 port switch in the network line at the MFP. It now prints and I can connect to webpage. One other thing I have found with kyrocera's is to turn off snmp in the driver, the mfp's need a reboot to reconnect with snmp turned on in the driver.