Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

MP 201/LD220, Scan fail on Win 10

Hello folks. I've recently encountered a client that has upgraded their systems to Win 10 and while they can still print it has broken scans. I am aware that there have been various security updates and such that have been messing with such connectivity.

The unit is giving me a failed to connect to destination and will not brows.
    I have checked the firmware and have tried NCS 907, 906a and 907a
    Can ping to, but not from MP 201
    Have tried a Firewall Exception
    Have tried IP path to share folder
    Have changed SMB Client Port 445 and SMB Client Auth to 1
    The network has not changed and is connected into a standard router

As I understand it the MP 201 is a rather old machine so an upgrade to a MP301 might be a decent way to go.
    Is there anything that I am missing. I have looked around CTN to collect some additional tactics to use. Is there anything that I have missed or any hard recommendations for this model?

Thank You for Reading and Responding
    Last edited by Methedor; 12-18-2017 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Corrected SMB Auth

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP 201/LD220, Scan fail on Win 10

You may need to update Network support firmware. D069/D115 NCS v9.07 adds support for Windows 8 and later. You may also have to edit the registry to allow SMB1.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Another couple of things to look for...

As of Vista and going forward, a shared folder with "Everyone" listed in the share doesn't quite work the way it did in XP. It's always best to add the user ID created for the scans folder to the "Allow" list, and give it FULL Permissions.

Another thing to adjust is going into the TCP/IPv4 settings, under Advanced on the WINS tab, and enabling "NetBIOS over TCP/IP". The default is "NetBIOS over DCHP", and for whatever reason SMB scanning does not like that.

Thank you for your responses. I will try these and others I've found then report back.
    I have this feeling that I will have to go to a fall back plan. Well, lets hope its just uncertainty.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

If the customers' new computers are running Windows 10 version 1709 (Fall Creator's Update), SMB1 is disabled by default, which could also be part of your issue. You can turn it back on using Add/remove Programs, and choosing Turn Windows Features On/Off and selecting SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support. Likely, you can just get away with enabling the server portion of the option as opposed to the client.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

If everything won't work you can still go with scan-to-ftp using some freeware like file zilla server. Did it recently and had some issues at first because during installation it didn't ask you for a windows firewall exception so you have to create one manually for ftp connection (perhaps in 3rd party firewall if customer don't use windows firewall) / port 25. Also uncheck passive mode function in file zilla settings, that doesn't really work for most MFPs.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    If everything won't work you can still go with scan-to-ftp using some freeware like file zilla server. Did it recently and had some issues at first because during installation it didn't ask you for a windows firewall exception so you have to create one manually for ftp connection (perhaps in 3rd party firewall if customer don't use windows firewall) / port 25. Also uncheck passive mode function in file zilla settings, that doesn't really work for most MFPs.
    Be sure to check with the customer first, especially if they have an IT department, before using Scan to FTP. It's completely open and many companies don't want something like that just sitting out on their network.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Be sure to check with the customer first, especially if they have an IT department, before using Scan to FTP. It's completely open and many companies don't want something like that just sitting out on their network.
    That all depends on whether you take the time to properly configure the FTP server security. Basically the server need to be running as a User level service and the user should not have Administrator rights. That user need to have owner access to only one folder tree on the computer and no access to any other folders.

Securing your Windows Service installation - FileZilla Wiki

Update:
    Changed to 40 bit encryption [no scanning]
    Disabled password protected sharing [no scanning]
    Enabled SMB 1.0 [no scanning]
    Ensured the network was set to private [no scanning]
    Put exception for the MP201/LD220 IP in firewall [no scanning]
    Windows Version 1709

Attempted FTP, though I may need to double check settings. That to failed, even tried allowing Filezilla's service through the Firewall.
    The computer have PCP Antivirus, but as far as I can tell that does not have firewall abilities.

I have been able to get it to use Pull scanning via Windows Fax and Scan, however the staff isn't to thrilled about that.

At this point I think there is a combination of obsolescence and security updates going on.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Methedor View Post
    Update:
    Changed to 40 bit encryption [no scanning]
    Disabled password protected sharing [no scanning]
    Enabled SMB 1.0 [no scanning]
    Ensured the network was set to private [no scanning]
    Put exception for the MP201/LD220 IP in firewall [no scanning]
    Windows Version 1709

Attempted FTP, though I may need to double check settings. That to failed, even tried allowing Filezilla's service through the Firewall.
    The computer have PCP Antivirus, but as far as I can tell that does not have firewall abilities.

I have been able to get it to use Pull scanning via Windows Fax and Scan, however the staff isn't to thrilled about that.

At this point I think there is a combination of obsolescence and security updates going on.

Password protected scanning needs to be ENABLED. If they're using the Windows firewall, you need to allow everything under "File and Printer Sharing" (Inbound Rules only) as well as "NB" (NetBIOS) for inbound. Something else to check in Inbound Rules is if there is a notation for "445 TCP IB_BLOCK" and "445 UDP IB_BLOCK" . If those are showing in your list, that blocks ALL traffic on port 445...you'll need to set that to "Allow" instead.

If they're using a 3rd Party firewall, you'll need to check with the provider on how to allow for SMB scanning through it.