Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Kyocera's most annoying network security

When a user has a single MFP in a small office, there is no reason that the device should have such an iron-clad security system. I have scanned with my Kyocera FS C-8520MFP only a few times in its five-year life. This is because the task of getting it to recognize my network is practically impossible. Or the task of getting its firmware to save a scanned document to a USB stick is likewise complicated, and I think I only succeeded once before. Kyocera has built a foolish degree of user unfriendliness into this.

Actually I've never successfully saved a scan to my network. Regardless that I enter the network username and password carefully, I get an "incorrect" message. Entering and re-entering the information, especially with a long, complicated Microsoft password, is ridiculous and frustrating, especially when the result is always the same. There has to be a better way.

I hope to either remove the credential requirement altogether, or at the very least, ACCEPT and permanently remember the credentials. Does anybody know if this is possible? This information is nowhere in the user manual. Ironically, I always print my documents on the Kyocera through the network, and it doesn't have a problem with that. How frustrating.

Helpful suggestions are very appreciated.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: Kyocera's most annoying network security

It sounds like you need to buy several hours of Professional services from a certified Kyocera dealer.

At the very least you should have the service provider update both the copier's firmware and print drivers.

If your copier is still under lease at the end of a five year term, I would recommend you upgrade to a new copier.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    It sounds like you need to buy several hours of Professional services from a certified Kyocera dealer.

At the very least you should have the service provider update both the copier's firmware and print drivers.

If your copier is still under lease at the end of a five year term, I would recommend you upgrade to a new copier.
    I don't lease. I've owned this unit since it was new, and I updated the firmware two years ago. That didn't seem to change the user unfriendliness of Kyocera's control panel. And information in the PDF user manual online is even more scant.

Unless, you are a trained Kyocera service tech, you need to buy some Professional service hours.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Unless, you are a trained Kyocera service tech, you need to buy some Professional service hours.
    Well, there isn't a trained Kyocera service tech within a hundred miles, maybe more, and I surely can't bring one from that far away. Regardless, my point remains that Kyocera's literature, i.e., the user manual, should at least be helpful to the people for whom it was written -- lay users just like me. And the touch panel on the machine should likewise be friendly. No amount of insistence that I import a Kyocera technician for everyday operating procedures will convince me that I'm wrong about this.

You will maybe better off scanning to email rather than SMB, this is a lot easier & will work everytime.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    Well, there isn't a trained Kyocera service tech within a hundred miles, maybe more, and I surely can't bring one from that far away. Regardless, my point remains that Kyocera's literature, i.e., the user manual, should at least be helpful to the people for whom it was written -- lay users just like me. And the touch panel on the machine should likewise be friendly. No amount of insistence that I import a Kyocera technician for everyday operating procedures will convince me that I'm wrong about this.

The tech does not have to be physically on site. They can use TeamViewer to make recommendations and changes.

Your copier is five years old. The technology did not exist then to make changes to the LCD panel.

Commercial copiers are not designed to allow "lay" people to significantly modify their operating system.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

in group policy you can disable the password complexity requirements.
    web into the copier, dont do it at the panel
    if the computer does not support SMB v1 scans will fail unless you can enable v2 on the copier through command center if available.
    make sure any spyware/antivirus allows traffic on port 139 i think (file sharing)
    make sure the user name you use to authenticate is a LOCAL user on the PC you are scanning to with read/write/full control permissions (dont use "everyone")
    if on a domain you may need to use "DOMAIN\USER" as the name
    some stupid computers like windows 10 have the dumb M$ login like "name@company.com/local" you have to know what credentials the user logs in as.
    make sure the firmware is up to date, latest version is from 3/20/17
    try all that first and let us know.

Technician

Wow, now that's a helpful post. As soon as time permits I will try all of the above. Thanks sincerely.

Technician

Norton Anti Virus; Kapersky; Mcafee usually block the scan to smb. Disable these or create rules to allow the exceptions.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk