Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician

Re: chromebook printing

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Is that what "PC control" is all about? I don't know of anyone who really knows what that setting actually does. What else does it do?
    If you choose to restict colour and mono printing (instead of PC control) by enabling User Code Authentication then all jobs will be flushed unless they contain a User Code in the headers that matches an entry in the address book.

PC Control doesn't really restrict who can print, you put whatever code you like in the driver and the printer creates an address book entry for it and prints! I've never seen the point of it or why it's now the default setting. Didn't know you could leave the driver code field blank either.

Try it but from memory you'll have a problem trying to work out who has printed what (think they are all logged under user = 'other'!).

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    chromebook printing

Re: chromebook printing

Quote Originally Posted by techsass View Post
    Of course you could change the printing lock down to "PC Control" if they're only requiring codes out of curiosity and don't really care about security.
    If PC Control is OFF, a user code entered in the driver must be already exist in the address book. If PC Control is ON any User Code entered in a driver that is not in the address book will be automatically added. It still requires that a user code be entered into the printer driver. It has been a few years since I read up on it but I believe there is a setting that allows printing from a driver that does not support user code entry.