Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

chromebook printing

Customer has a Ricoh MPC3003 using access codes. The access codes is the hard part. The copier is not Google Cloud ready. Getting it to print with access codes turned off is easy. Can't see where you enter access codes with IPP printing though. Any thoughts appreciated.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    chromebook printing

Re: chromebook printing

I can't speak knowledgeably about Ricoh copiers but Google Cloud Print (GCP) was only ever designed for basic print functions from low cost ChromeBook computers primarily in an educational environment. Dept Codes are not in the scope of what GCP was designed to accomplish.

Dept Codes might be possible if you use another Windows or Apple Device as essentially a print server to pass GCP print requests through.

I do not think that GCP is a good print solution for most corporate environments.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

There is a Google Cloud Print app that can be installed on the Ricoh device and it can then use the Google Cloud for printing properly. It still does not support access codes though. This is a limitation of google Cloud Print and not the machine itself.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    chromebook printing

The attached screenshot from a Toshiba copier using a Macbook with a PPD driver as a print server to GCP, suggests that Dept Codes are possible.

I did not configure the Macbook to work with GCP. That was the IT Manager. Do not ask me how he did it. It would probably work with a Windows PC as well.

If you cannot enlarge the attachment all I can tell you is on the field of choices on the left hand side it says:

Dept Code (DC) Digit 1 (followed a drop down box 0-9)
    Dept Code (DC) Digit 2 (followed a drop down box 0-9)
    Dept Code (DC) Digit 3 (followed a drop down box 0-9)
    Dept Code (DC) Digit 4 (followed a drop down box 0-9)
    Dept Code (DC) Digit 5 (followed a drop down box 0-9)

You can also do Private/Secure/Password print up to 5 digits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The printer is probably setup as a "Legacy" GCP enabled printer. In this way the MAC is acting as a print server. If the MAC is turned off chances are the Chromebook will not print. I have not played with codes using GCP. I have read that sometimes they work and sometimes they do not. Has something to do with each manufacture having different coding for the codes.

Just like when using Chrome on a PC or Windows computer and right clicking, print then clicking print. This bypasses the print driver. Sometimes it works but depending on what you are doing it will not work well. At the bottom of the left pane is a "Print using system dialog". This then uses the driver.

Technician

For Chromebooks If you want to have User Code Authentication on your Ricoh then you have to purchase the Ricoh GCP Java App. This makes the device a 'GCP Ready Printer' once installed.

You have to populate the address book with users and codes as normal and then separately go into the special GCP app interface and 'map' each code to a specific gmail address that is allowed to use the printer. The App then appends the relevant @PJL with the relevant code to the incoming job from Google Print Service. Papercut is apparently supported too but not used that so far.

See attached pic..

You are not restricted to printing from just Chromebooks but also from Chrome Browser on any device anywhere on the internet (Android/IOS/Mac/Window/Linux)..needs to be logged into a Google account with permission to use the printer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PacketSniffer; 02-01-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: additional info

Thanks for reply. Customer doesn't want to pay any additional for getting one chromebook printing. They have come to terms that it will not happen with access codes.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    chromebook printing

Of course you could change the printing lock down to "PC Control" if they're only requiring codes out of curiosity and don't really care about security.

Is that what "PC control" is all about? I don't know of anyone who really knows what that setting actually does. What else does it do?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Basically it allows printing with or without a code in the driver. I keep forgetting which way it needs to be set. I have to experiment each time.