Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: hughes net isp

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

hughes net isp

does anyone deal with these guys? their modems are programmed to not keep the same ip scheme, so everytime it has a power cycle, it grabs a new scheme. so the customer has to reconnect the lap top. we have a wireless extender for the copier, the copier is set static so when the modem changes schemes, the copier cant print or scan.

contacted hughes net and they said thats the way its intended. trying to keep the customer from having to change ip on copier everytime this happens.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

Re: hughes net isp

Hello, there.
    For the print if I'm not mistaken and depending on the model you can do an install via share from the printer itself as, again depending on the model, it is discoverable as a system that shares its printer. That way it should be using lookup to find the printer if you were to change it to Auto.
    However, this will not solve the scan issue I am sorry to say. Have you set scan via IP of Name Lookup?

Hope this helps and if I'm remembering I'm sure that other will correct. We are all about accuracy and efficiency. Have a great day.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

its a ricoh c3003

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Why not just set the copier for DHCP?

Just be sure to print to it by its host name instead of its IP address.

Scanning should not be effected.

The only time that does not work is if there is a solution in place that is predicated in a static IP, or if there is a mainframe printing to it that can't handle host names, but that is quite rare.

I had a university some years back with I think 92 MFPs. No given node on the network was to have a static IP, only certain servers had the privilege. DHCP worked fine for them, and their DCHP leases were only set for 24 hours (don't know why), so the IP addresses changed almost daily.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Why not just set the copier for DHCP?

Just be sure to print to it by its host name instead of its IP address.

Scanning should not be effected.

The only time that does not work is if there is a solution in place that is predicated in a static IP, or if there is a mainframe printing to it that can't handle host names, but that is quite rare.

I had a university some years back with I think 92 MFPs. No given node on the network was to have a static IP, only certain servers had the privilege. DHCP worked fine for them, and their DCHP leases were only set for 24 hours (don't know why), so the IP addresses changed almost daily.
    Anytime you go with hostname resolution, you're banking on internal DNS working properly. In a managed network, like a university, with a proper DNS server for internal queries, there isn't going to be an issue. An ISP router/modem combination? Not quite the same chance of getting a reliable local DNS cache built. Overall it sounds like an issue with the device itself since it should be using a private IP range for everything on the internal network, and a public IP address on the WAN side. If it's resetting all of the addresses anytime it's power cycled, there has to be an issue with either the configuration or the device itself. Sounds like the customer needs to talk to HughesNet before anything else.