Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Kyocera and WSD printing

My setup department have been turning off WSD on my Ricoh's but have left it alone on my Kyocera's because it never had caused us a problem until this week. I had to follow up a technician after he installed the print drivers on 10 workstations and found that the windows 10 boxes were using a "Kyocera XPS" drivers. We install the KX drivers using TCP as SOP. We never had a windows 10 box delete the driver and reinstall XPS. As anyone who deals with the Ricoh product knows,windows 10 will install a "Ricoh Class"driver using WSD if the WSD protocol is left on.

The Kyocera XPS driver wasn't labeled "Kyocera Class"driver but as Kyocera XPS.XPS is Microsoft version of postscript that is needed for certain apps but as a every day driver it is not recommend by Kyocera.
    My main concern is if there was a update in Microsoft's newer OS's that will now delete the previous KX drivers and replace them with the XPS driver.

Its my hope that the tech that I followed up was just having a bad day and that I will now not have a bunch of Kyocera customers calling me with print job problems.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera and WSD printing

Re: Kyocera and WSD printing

WSD is just as troublesome on Kyocera, Toshiba, Lexmark, and every other manufacturer I see. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

No WSD driver or Port Period

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks for the input all, WSD is not the way to go but I never had to bother to turn it off on a Kyocera. It was like the windows boxes didn't recognize the Kyoceras' on the network because windows didn't have a Kyocera driver to link with the WSD protocol.So far this had happen on a 01 series machines and Im sure the newer 02 series will also self install.

Can anyone confirm or shed more light on what driver the windows 10 machines will automatically configure with WSD turned on?

So far it looks like its using the XPS driver and if that is the case I will be chasing around customers all over my territory reinstalling drivers and turning off WSD.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera and WSD printing

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    ... So far it looks like its using the XPS driver and if that is the case I will be chasing around customers all over my territory reinstalling drivers and turning off WSD.
    That's what we do. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

WSD is just as troublesome on Kyocera, Toshiba, Lexmark, and every other manufacturer I see. =^..^=

Yea we turn it off whenever we install a printer/copier.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kuby View Post

Yea we turn it off whenever we install a printer/copier.
    We also turn it off at setup. We have found that if the end user has allowed windows to manage their printers, as soon as a windows update hits, windows uses WSD to replace the default driver and screws the pooch.

Helpdesk Engineer 50+ Posts hdmr's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Kyocera and WSD printing

Always see WSD Ports causing issue on the Ricoh products - never thought to switch the feature of from a device level before.

Thanks for info.

Hey all,

Sorry to necro this thread, but I just had to turn off WSD on a FS-C2526, and it took me a while to find it. So I figured I'd post where it was here, so the next tech doesn't have to search!

I got into Command Center (web UI), then logged in as Admin. Then I clicked Basic tab (blue), under Security, mouse over Device Security and choose Network Security, then scroll to the end of the page and there are 4 switches for WSD, for print, scan, enhanced WSD, and enhanced WSD over SSL, all of which I turned off. Then I restarted the printer, and the Win10 PC I was on didn't find it, so it should be good.

As an aside, one of the Windows Updates that came through this year also seems to automatically add another printer copy if IPP settings are left on now, just like WSD. I've mainly seen it happen with Canons, but I bet it does for other brands too.
    Last edited by savedR; 11-30-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Kyocera and WSD printing

Had a Ricoh im3000 that I let Windows10 install drivers for. I printed to it and the red light on the Ricoh started flashing, I walked over to it pressed printer and it said use alternative paper. I knew what had happened instantly the driver had somehow sent it a letter size document when we use a4, a3. Took a brief look at the printer driver all seemed ok then deleted it and used the real Ricoh driver all was good after that.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.