Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Helpdesk Engineer 50+ Posts hdmr's Avatar

Talking Ricoh MPC '01 Range - No Print, No Ping

I have been seeing a lot a situation where a customer calls in and they have no printing anymore, I carry out the usual checks from a helpdesk point of view and find there is no ping return.

I have been finding a setting within User Tools that has somehow become switched on. After 1 or 2 times I thought coincidence but I've had it a hand full of times since and always seems to be the MPC '01 range.

The setting in question is IEE 802.1X Authentication for Ethernet
    We find this to be Active which it shouldn't be.

The setting can be found in User Tools > System Setting, navigate to the 2nd page and you will see IEE 802.1X Authentication for Ethernet > change this to Inactive.

Found the machine comes good instantly, no need for a reboot or anything.

Happened a couple of times when customer has changed router but I have other instance when this has not been the case.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: Ricoh MPC '01 Range - No Print, No Ping

Yeah I've seen this a bunch of times and it's a total, complete and utter sod of a fault. The only thing I can think of that it may be enabled is someone is switching it on thinking the machine has wireless capability.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Helpdesk Engineer 50+ Posts hdmr's Avatar

I've seen it too much for it being that IMO - different customers and different sites - but always the MPC '01 range

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Yeah I've seen this a bunch of times and it's a total, complete and utter sod of a fault. The only thing I can think of that it may be enabled is someone is switching it on thinking the machine has wireless capability.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    What he said ^. Not really a fault but yeah I used to think how can a customer be so daft; yes I get that they mix up Dot1X with Dot11g/n etc but to not think 'erm.. NOTHING works after me turning that on, but I can still photocopy so I'll forget I did anything and call an engineer..' But, I now think customers are doing it remotely, and of course once you've turned it on remotely you're stuffed unless the device is in your location 'cause there's only one way to turn it off again. So again ' I'll call an engineer and make out it was nuttin to do with me'. See attached for where to stuff the NIC remotely.If the attending tech doesn't know about this, chances are he'll end up ordering a controller. Which won't help as this setting isn't stored on the controller (high security feature).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MPC '01 Range - No Print, No Ping

IEEE 802.1X is the wireless connection standard. The setting for IEEE 802.1X Authentication for Ethernet is Enabled when Ricoh's wireless interface is installed. When it is on, the wired connection is disabled. Most likely someone turned it on thinking they could enable WIFI but did not realize that it only works if the interface is installed.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    IEEE 802.1X is the wireless connection standard. The setting for IEEE 802.1X Authentication for Ethernet is Enabled when Ricoh's wireless interface is installed. When it is on, the wired connection is disabled. Most likely someone turned it on thinking they could enable WIFI but did not realize that it only works if the interface is installed.
    IEEE802.1X is a standard for Ethernet (Ethernet can mean Wired connection or Wireless connection so you don’t need a Wi-Fi option card to use this security feature).It’s a standard for PNAC (port-based network access control), pretty heavy duty port level security if configured correctly and stops unauthorised users from gaining access to the network. Think of port level MAC filtering but much more difficult to penetrate (MAC addresses can be cloned).At its strongest you need to install device certificates, site certificates, know the password(s) for the port you’ll be connected to, details of the CA server and RADIUS server in the case of a Wired Ethernet connection. The RADIUS server, etc., is often all bundled into the AP in the case of Wireless, but not necessarily.The important thing is not to confuse this feature with Wi-Fi, it can be used over a Wireless network but it’s a standard for Wired Ethernet too and can be a serious pain to get working.Check it out on Wikipedia if you are having problems getting to sleep at night, you won’t be awake long.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PacketSniffer View Post
    IEEE802.1X is a standard for Ethernet (Ethernet can mean Wired connection or Wireless connection so you don’t need a Wi-Fi option card to use this security feature).It’s a standard for PNAC (port-based network access control), pretty heavy duty port level security if configured correctly and stops unauthorised users from gaining access to the network. Think of port level MAC filtering but much more difficult to penetrate (MAC addresses can be cloned).At its strongest you need to install device certificates, site certificates, know the password(s) for the port you’ll be connected to, details of the CA server and RADIUS server in the case of a Wired Ethernet connection. The RADIUS server, etc., is often all bundled into the AP in the case of Wireless, but not necessarily.The important thing is not to confuse this feature with Wi-Fi, it can be used over a Wireless network but it’s a standard for Wired Ethernet too and can be a serious pain to get working.Check it out on Wikipedia if you are having problems getting to sleep at night, you won’t be awake long.
    My answer was specific for Ricoh. IEEE 802.1X Authentication for Ethernet setting on a Ricoh is only for Ricoh's wireless interface. Ricoh's wired Ethernet LAN connection does not require authentication. Please do not provide non essential information that has nothing to do with the problem.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    My answer was specific for Ricoh. IEEE 802.1X Authentication for Ethernet setting on a Ricoh is only for Ricoh's wireless interface. Ricoh's wired Ethernet LAN connection does not require authentication. Please do not provide non essential information that has nothing to do with the problem.
    Incorrect. "Ricoh's wired Ethernet LAN connection does not require authentication", It does if the customer has a RADIUS / Dot1X Port authentication environment on their Wired Ethernet LAN (or Enterprise APs). Ricoh DO support Dot1X auth. for Wired Ethernet networks because I have personally configured it many times on Ricoh GW and GW+ devices on Wired only LANs. I can send you the senior tech.s' guide on configuring it on Windows Server; Cisco and Procurve Managed Switches in addition to device configuration (for Wired or Wireless) if you require?Admittedly Dot1X auth. is not needed for 99.8 per cent of customers with regular, standard Wired Ethernet LANs (or non-Enterprise APs) and should most definitely NOT be turned on for the majority of customers that have not implemented proper port authentication (proper meaning Dot1X as opposed to MAC filtering) because the NIC will do nothing if the Supplicant cannot reach the Authenticator or RADIUS.Perhaps this information comes under your criterea of 'non-essential', but at least it was not mis-information. Didn't realise folks were so upperty here; not sure I'll bother in future.

Incorrect. "Ricoh's wired Ethernet LAN connection does not require authentication", It does if the customer has a RADIUS / Dot1X Port authentication environment on their Wired Ethernet LAN (or Enterprise APs). Ricoh DO support Dot1X auth. for Wired Ethernet networks because I have personally configured it many times on Ricoh GW and GW+ devices on Wired only LANs. I can send you the senior tech.s' guide on configuring it on Windows Server; Cisco and Procurve Managed Switches in addition to device configuration (for Wired or Wireless) if you require?Admittedly Dot1X auth. is not needed for 99.8 per cent of customers with regular, standard Wired Ethernet LANs (or non-Enterprise APs) and should most definitely NOT be turned on for the majority of customers that have not implemented proper port authentication (proper meaning Dot1X as opposed to MAC filtering) because the NIC will do nothing if the Supplicant cannot reach the Authenticator or RADIUS.Perhaps this information comes under your criterea of 'non-essential', but at least it was not mis-information. Didn't realise folks were so upperty here; not sure I'll bother in future.
    only some regulars, not everyone. thanks for the info!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Yes, through WIM you can setup IEEE 802.1X for RADIUS and a few other very specific high security networks. The vast majority of local networks do not use that high of a security level.

As applies to this specific thread, were any of those networks in play merely changing IEEE 802.1X Authentication for Ethernet to false through User Tools at the machine would not have caused the MFP to immediately start working properly. Were it on a network requiring high security for printing, ping might have started working but I doubt if queued print jobs would not have spooled.