Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts Jerrygbs's Avatar

canon smb scan to file

It seem that lately on a lot of my canons when I go to set up scan to file, when I browse I cant see the network and if I do I cant see the computer or the file. The same is happening when I host search, has windows updated securities or something else? I'm just a toner jockey and the customers IT people either won't or can't help. I either get check server or no response . Any help is appreciated

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: canon smb scan to file

It sounds like the customer has disabled SMB1, a very old version of the protocol for file sharing which is considered insecure. You may want to check if there's firmware available to let the machine scan using SMB2 or SMB3. In newer versions of Windows 10, SMB1 is disabled automatically.

Is there any way to allow smb1 on windows 10 ? I tried this setting: [Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off > check or uncheck the box for "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support"] but did not succeed. Scanning to file did not work. I know there are special firmware released, but not all older mashines gets it.
    Maybe someone has found a way to scan to file without firmware update, and is willing to share.

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts
    canon smb scan to file

Canon model? Hope not CLC 700.
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

hi

on pc in run type
    windows powershell
    let window open then type
    Get-SmbServerConfiguration

you can see there if smb1 port is blocked and yes if its a newer generation canon you should get "special firmware" so it opens smb2

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    canon smb scan to file

To try and browse the network and "find" the copier, first thing you need to do is check Control Panel>Network Connections, Right click>Properties. Find the IPv4 protocol and click the Properties button, then click "Advanced". Go to the WINS tab, and change it to "NetBIOS over TCP/IP". The default "Over DHCP" configuration won't let you browse to it from the copier.

I had one I fought for 3 days before I discovered THAT little nugget!!

Otherwise, your standard SMB setup. Same Workgroup, correct DNS settings, making sure the Firewall on the PC is set up for "Allow" on File and Printer Sharing and Network Discovery (NB).

Good luck.... I know they can be frustrating! ... The copiers too!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    canon smb scan to file

Quote Originally Posted by CLC700 View Post
    Is there any way to allow smb1 on windows 10 ? I tried this setting: [Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off > check or uncheck the box for "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support"] but did not succeed. Scanning to file did not work. I know there are special firmware released, but not all older mashines gets it.
    Maybe someone has found a way to scan to file without firmware update, and is willing to share.
    due to malware and viruses ... SMB1 is turned off in Win10. DO NOT TURN ON SMB1. if that company gets hit with malware or even ransom ware, then your company could be held legally libel for any damages incurred.