Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts oeshuron's Avatar

Sharp Driver preferences not propagating. Server 2012 R2

Customer has Server 2012 R2 and clients using Windows 10 versions 1511-1803.

Machine is an MX-5070N with User Control enabled and two user id's set. 1 for B/W w/o color authority and 1 used for color with no restrictions. Customer setup two printers on the print server - Sharp 5070 B/W & 5070 Color with the correct user numbers and driver settings (grayscale, etc) for both.

Problem: These preferences and defaults are not propagating to the client pc's. The prints are installed with defaults.

Print server assigns printers using location of the pc the user logs into. Anyone else having this issue and know a workaround?

Technician

Re: Sharp Driver preferences not propagating. Server 2012 R2

Quote Originally Posted by oeshuron View Post
    Customer has Server 2012 R2 and clients using Windows 10 versions 1511-1803.

Machine is an MX-5070N with User Control enabled and two user id's set. 1 for B/W w/o color authority and 1 used for color with no restrictions. Customer setup two printers on the print server - Sharp 5070 B/W & 5070 Color with the correct user numbers and driver settings (grayscale, etc) for both.

Problem: These preferences and defaults are not propagating to the client pc's. The prints are installed with defaults.

Print server assigns printers using location of the pc the user logs into. Anyone else having this issue and know a workaround?
    I have had similar issues, if you haven't already on the print server confirm that defaults have been locked down under print defaults (right click printer, advanced tab then printer defaults button) and also printer preferences (right click printer, general tab then print preferences button). Usually only print defaults needs to be set but I found setting print preferences on the server driver corrected an almost identical problem for me once, hope this helps. Also make sure they are using the latest version drivers.

Printing defaults and printer preferences are both configured on the server the same and correct. I am going to have them check and see if the printers are being added as shared printers or using tcp-ip as I've read there was an issue with them being installed as TCP/IP and getting default settings.

Are you installing manually through AD, or GPO?

If GPO, you can set a refresh rate which resets the driver settings if changed from default.

In all cases make sure you open the driver's properties windows on the local PC to update from the server (also grabs the tray config too).

Printers are doled out using GP. I have found out via Sharp the User Number portion of user authentication will not propagate so the scenario we were hoping to do will not work for them. I was given another work around also using User Account Control which should work.