Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Canon Linux driver not working

I originally posted this in the wrong forum and was asked to move it here. Here is a link to my original post. We have a Canon LPB7680Cx laser printer and a Canon C5030i all-in-one copier/printer/scanner. According to the Canon website at
    Code:
    imageRUNNER ADVANCE C5030i - Support - Download drivers, software and manuals - Canon UK
    both use the
    Code:
    UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver for Linux V3.50
    driver on our 64 bit Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon computer. Up to a point this is true. Once that driver is installed the Laser printer works fine but the colour output on the copier is atrocious and not usable. Furthermore I cannot get the stapler to staple or the scanner to scan. Output is fine using it as a photocopier, and it will staple where I want it is just running it from a computer where there is a problem.

If, from the computer, I select the printer options and print a test page that prints properly. However, if I select to print a ‘self test’ page the output says, and I quote, “If you can read this, you are using the wrong driver for your printer.”

Can anyone suggest what to do to get our printer working properly please?

Edit. Mint 18.3 with a Cinnamon desktop is the current stable version and has long term support. All machines are fully updated
    Last edited by AnotherBigAl; 07-12-2018 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Additional information

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Canon Linux driver not working

Re: Canon Linux driver not working

just a suggestion,try adding another printer using the second one for printing to the copier and name it differently so anyone who wants to print to the printer can select it and if they want to staple excetra they can use the copier printer.

Technician

Thank you for looking at our problem blsquires although I confess I am not too sure exactly what it is you are suggesting. The Canon driver we are using, was downloaded from the Canon website at
    Code:
    https://www.canon.co.uk/support/products/imagerunner/imagerunner-advance-c5030i.aspx?type=drivers&driverdetailid=tcm:14-1506758&os=Linux%20(64-bit)&language=
    . At the bottom of that page there is a list of compatible printers and copiers, 385 in total. Both the C5030 and C5030i are included in that list the latter being our machine.

Are you suggesting using a driver for a totally different machine and if so, can you explain which one please. More than anything else it is the colour when printing from a computer that is the problem. We do not have any other A3 printers.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Is there a driver for the ImageRunner already in the preloaded drivers in your install? CUPS generally has a fairly wide number of ready drivers.

Does the ImageRunner support PostScript? If so, you can always just use the PPD file either from a PostScript driver for another OS, or from Canon directly. Looking at the US page, they offer a Windows exe with all of the PPD files for multiple models, including the C5030/C5035.

I've used PPD files to allow many different *nix and Mac systems to print to devices that don't have a specific Linux driver, and it's always worked without any issues.
    Attached Files Attached Files