Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Kyocera TA-8001i scan to smb error 2101

Re: Kyocera TA-8001i scan to smb error 2101

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    I finally talkedd to their IT dept., today. They did get it scanning to the computers, they told me they used IP addresses instead of host names, because, they are using a sonic wall and the sonic wall has no dns, so it only understands IP. I hop this helps.
    Thanks for the update. In reality the sonic wall is just not allowing the DNS server through the way they have it setup. The sonic wall does not have a DNS server, only allows a DNS server if setup Properly. Hope they made DHCP reservations for the machine and the computers! The first power outage will probably scramble everything with IP addresses being re-assigned via DHCP resulting in another episode of not being able to scan. The beauty of using host names is that even if the IP address changes the machine can find the computer using the host name via DNS regardless of the new IP address. Is it really the sonic wall or the fact that they are using the DNS server from the ISP such as comcast? Using an ISP DNS server does not work as it does not allow for local devices to be registered on the network.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Thanks for the update. In reality the sonic wall is just not allowing the DNS server through the way they have it setup. The sonic wall does not have a DNS server, only allows a DNS server if setup Properly. Hope they made DHCP reservations for the machine and the computers! The first power outage will probably scramble everything with IP addresses being re-assigned via DHCP resulting in another episode of not being able to scan. The beauty of using host names is that even if the IP address changes the machine can find the computer using the host name via DNS regardless of the new IP address. Is it really the sonic wall or the fact that they are using the DNS server from the ISP such as comcast? Using an ISP DNS server does not work as it does not allow for local devices to be registered on the network.
    They did mention the fact that they had to setup DNS reservations for all the hardware conected.

I finally talkedd to their IT dept., today. They did get it scanning to the computers, they told me they used IP addresses instead of host names, because, they are using a sonic wall and the sonic wall has no dns, so it only understands IP. I hop this helps.
    I have seen where there was NO Sonicwall involved, yet I had to setup the scan to SMB with IP Address instead of Hostname. The only reason I could figure was that they had a Windows 10 Home Edition instead of the Professional version. Kyocera TA-8001i scan to smb error 2101

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    I have seen where there was NO Sonicwall involved, yet I had to setup the scan to SMB with IP Address instead of Hostname. The only reason I could figure was that they had a Windows 10 Home Edition instead of the Professional version. Kyocera TA-8001i scan to smb error 2101

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    Is there a reason that you know of that will cause this issue on Windows 10 Home edition? I just had this issue and IP address instead of hostname works. I tried turning off all the virus and defender protection to make sure they were not involved. I tried different dns servers as well but only works when using IP address for scanning to smb.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Is there a reason that you know of that will cause this issue on Windows 10 Home edition? I just had this issue and IP address instead of hostname works. I tried turning off all the virus and defender protection to make sure they were not involved. I tried different dns servers as well but only works when using IP address for scanning to smb.
    It is not necessarily an issue with the home edition, but where is the DNS server residing. Most ISP's do not allow netbios over their networks and will not register individual device names in the DNS lookup for computers/mfps. The reason the IP address works and the hostname does not is that with the IP address it does not use the ISP's DNS server and goes directly to the IP address you entered. The hostname requires querying the ISP's DNS server for the IP address which it does not have and results in not finding the host.