Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Copier NIC or wall port??

I have a copier that quit printing after 2 weeks. No connectivity lights blinking on copier. I took my laptop, and a switch, and made a quick mini network. Lights are blinking
    and I was able to bring up web interface and print to it. Removed switch and ran new cable to wall. No lights! But If I leave switch in line and run thru it from wall to copier,
    we can print!. It is like the powered switch is boosting signal. We had lights for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, no more ports in room to test from. Any thoughts here?
    Thanks

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Copier NIC or wall port??

Quote Originally Posted by mo0651 View Post
    I have a copier that quit printing after 2 weeks. No connectivity lights blinking on copier. I took my laptop, and a switch, and made a quick mini network. Lights are blinking
    and I was able to bring up web interface and print to it. Removed switch and ran new cable to wall. No lights! But If I leave switch in line and run thru it from wall to copier,
    we can print!. It is like the powered switch is boosting signal. We had lights for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, no more ports in room to test from. Any thoughts here?
    Thanks

sounds like you have network problems .. did you get their IT dept to test the connection? if you hook your lapper up to their network can you ping their servers? clearly if you can print and WIM from your lapper it IS NOT the machine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Check to see if there is a place in the network settings for the ethernet on the copier that you can change the speed of the port. Taking it to 10Mb half duplex or full duplex may solve the issue. Sometimes just turning the "Auto Sensing" feature off on the port and staying on the highest speed available may allow it to work.

Another possibility of course is on the network the port on the switch at in the wiring closet is going bad. Sometimes this can be fixed just by changing the ethernet plug in the closet to another port.

What is happening is the switch you are installing is allowing the copier to sense the speed of the network and working.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Could it be that the customer put in a new switch, or changed things around so that their switch is only operating at Gigabit speed, and the copier can’t handle it?

The intermediate switch you are using could be acting as a “translator”, if you will.

A lot of IT departments tend to make these types of changes and never consider the potential consequences.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Thanks
    Had the same problem a year or so ago with a customer that printed and scanned for over a year and suddenly could do neither. Like you added a switch for testing and everything worked fine. You are correct in that the added switch is boosting the signal allowing it to work. Moving the network wall outlet to another port on the customer's switch solved the issue, very apparent that the switches port had gone down and the machine was only 20 feet from the customers switch. When the customer's IT got there a week later they labeled the original port as bad and left our changes as the permanent solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mincopier View Post
    Check to see if there is a place in the network settings for the ethernet on the copier that you can change the speed of the port. Taking it to 10Mb half duplex or full duplex may solve the issue. Sometimes just turning the "Auto Sensing" feature off on the port and staying on the highest speed available may allow it to work.

Another possibility of course is on the network the port on the switch at in the wiring closet is going bad. Sometimes this can be fixed just by changing the ethernet plug in the closet to another port.

What is happening is the switch you are installing is allowing the copier to sense the speed of the network and working.
    Thank you for this. I'm troubleshooting a similar issue involving a C2504 that's not playing well with the other nodes on the network in a small office of about a dozen users. Computers (Windows 10) ping and respond to each other with near-100% efficiency, but the printer responds to (at best) about 50% of pings and reports it's offline more than it's available. I tried a couple of speed variations from the machine, like enabling/disabling 1Gb throughput, but nothing changed. I'll try a different port on the switch and go from there.

One thing I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned: the green connectivity light on the printer indicating network connectivity illuminates for a second or two, then goes on for a second, and then comes back on again. I know it's trying to tell me something (perhaps that it's trying to keep itself connected), but I don't know Savin-network-light-indicator-Morse-code, so I'm still searching for answers.

Jamestheone85

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Had the same problem a year or so ago with a customer that printed and scanned for over a year and suddenly could do neither. Like you added a switch for testing and everything worked fine. You are correct in that the added switch is boosting the signal allowing it to work. Moving the network wall outlet to another port on the customer's switch solved the issue, very apparent that the switches port had gone down and the machine was only 20 feet from the customers switch. When the customer's IT got there a week later they labeled the original port as bad and left our changes as the permanent solution.
    Thanks Santander, that really helped!

Sometimes..
    I ever had have a simple 5port switch in my bags.
    Switching it beetwen copier and walloutlett and anythings working fine.
    Together with a new Cat5 cable and my hours/minutes at location....
    Customers paid it and is lucky.
    Second Help is a 20 m Cat cable to the next room.
    if there is connectin, you win.
    Customers IT is now ready for work. ;-)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Thanks
    You should ALWAYS have a crossover cable in your bag to test directly to the machine from your laptop. Just this last week we moved a customers machine from one building to another. New location was 10 feet of ethernet from a Brocade gigabit switch...machine didn't connect. Problem? Machine was connection speed was set to 10/100 Auto and NOT 10/100/1000 Auto (full duplex). When I switched it to 10/100/1000 Auto Full Duplex and restarted, it connected with absolutely no problem at all!!! Note to self: some machine/switch combinations LIKE to connect at the HIGHEST port speed possible!!! Also, some brands of switches experience what is called port or link flapping...after so many tries the switch port will just be disabled and nothing will work. Easiest way to remedy is to install an intermediate 5 port switch which fixes it.
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It's a little bit late to add this, but it was very common on Konica's around the time that Gigabit network cards first came out, but most everybody was still running 100MB networks. When set to Auto network speed negotiation most new machines would print one page then drop off the network. But if you hard set a network speed it will stay connected. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=