Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?

Hi,

Do any of you guys do this already? So setting up machines so they are basically plug and play so scan to email is already setup with a server that you control or scan to WebDAV / ftp on a cloud type server and you just tell the customer how to access it?

We are forever chasing poor IT support who basically mess with the setup, changing passwords, changing email provider etc million reasons especially office 365 issues and older machines.

Has anyone tried it, does it work? What's best and most accessible for the customer?

I guess the main issue is security but to be honest the stupidity of most IT people it's probably more secure to scan external than internal way they look after the network on some places.

Could in theory one email account be used simultaneously by hundreds of machines?

If I went the WebDAV route can hundreds of connections be made at the same time?

Thanks for any help,
    Fishy

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?

WebDAV id probably create a new folder per customer and email I guess 1 account could serve many machines.

We are forever getting scan to email problems now and are expected to fix them when 98% of the time it's got nothing to do with the machine.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

As I understand you're basically doing IT support for your customer.

Employ a new I.T. staff member an charge for the IT service accordingly.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishleg View Post
    Hi,

Do any of you guys do this already? So setting up machines so they are basically plug and play so scan to email is already setup with a server that you control or scan to WebDAV / ftp on a cloud type server and you just tell the customer how to access it?

We are forever chasing poor IT support who basically mess with the setup, changing passwords, changing email provider etc million reasons especially office 365 issues and older machines.

Has anyone tried it, does it work? What's best and most accessible for the customer?

I guess the main issue is security but to be honest the stupidity of most IT people it's probably more secure to scan external than internal way they look after the network on some places.

Could in theory one email account be used simultaneously by hundreds of machines?

If I went the WebDAV route can hundreds of connections be made at the same time?

Thanks for any help,
    Fishy
    Not much of a help, but when I deliver a machine, I spend like 3 minutes setting up a custom no reply e-mail address using gmail. After what must be a couple of hundreds of machine network installs, I got tired of confused faces when I ask for e-mail server settings. I figure if the company had a competent IT dep't then they will go in and put it themselves. I always put in work order "IT dep't NEEDS to add company SMTP settings if maximum security desired". I probably have saved 30 minutes in each service call in doing so.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Hi,

Thanks for any help,
    Fishy
    I've pre-config'd scan to email many times to an external email server. Basically just a relay server. If you can setup with gmail that would probably be your best bet as long as the mfp can handle the authentication methodology. For scan to folder, best way IMO, is to have a dedicated PC. I prefer Windows 7, make a folder for each user, setup scan path to each folder and then map each folder on each user's PC. This way you won't need multiple passwords for scan authentication. Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Every machine I install is just about plug & play, if I'm replacing an old piece of equipment, I'll take all the settings from it when I carry out the site visit, and pre program it before delivery, or if it's a completely new site, I'll ask for the details of whoever does their IT and email them before delivery, get the details from them, also send them the link for the print drivers and explain what needs to be done. Luckily I have a good rapport with all the local IT companies where I live, having worked with them many times in the past. But it's so much easier with the KM bizhubs now, where you can transfer just about everything from one to another by USB.
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Hi,

Thanks for any help,
    Fishy
    First question is, are they paying for it?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I would suggest that you create a form that your sales people can fill out with all the needed information to include IT contact information.

Sheet for your customer:

SMTP-Server:
    SSL-Type:
    Port number:
    Emailaccount:
    Email loginname:
    Emailpassword:

This can be configured before installation at location.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peter42 View Post
    Sheet for your customer:

SMTP-Server:
    SSL-Type:
    Port number:
    Emailaccount:
    Email loginname:
    Emailpassword:

This can be configured before installation at location.
    Also network information.
    IP Address: Auto obtain or Fixed
    If fixed:
    IP address
    Sub net mask
    Gateway(s)
    Domain or group Name
    Name of primary file server for scanning to folder
    Login credentials