Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    We generally use Stunnel as our relay. It is supported on the Pi since it works on any Linux or Windows system. In our office, we have a virtual Ubuntu server that just runs this that our other servers use for emailing automated reporting emails and our MFP's use it for scanning.

Depending on the customer, we've either gone the Pi route, or gone with a full on server. One of my teammtes is even toying around to see if we can get it working as a container instead of a full on virtual machine. The key is to just make sure that the relay is on a system that's always going to be powered on.
    What exactly do you mean by a "container"???...a full on self-contained machine as opposed to a VM??? If you do any 3D printing there's quite a few R-Pi custom enclosures over at Thingiverse to choose from!!!
    Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    What exactly do you mean by a "container"???

The very basic description is that it's a virtual machine that only installs the portions of an operating system necessary for a specific application.

What are containers and why do you need them? | CIO

Being an IT-first shop, we're looking at just about anything that can give us a leg up. Pretty much, if it can have a network cable plugged into it, we'll try to manage it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    The very basic description is that it's a virtual machine that only installs the portions of an operating system necessary for a specific application.

What are containers and why do you need them? | CIO

Being an IT-first shop, we're looking at just about anything that can give us a leg up. Pretty much, if it can have a network cable plugged into it, we'll try to manage it.
    Basically a "slipstreamed" install!!!Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by fishleg View Post
    I thought about the Gmail route, the only problem it's the same as office 365 how long till they decide to change security and not every machine would work.

Our customers are pretty dense like I'd say 95% have no idea how emails work. We are installing machines then asking for there companies email information which sometimes gets very frustrating as it's often wrong or impossible to find.

We constantly get calls scanning is not working which we immediately get blamed for. I wish the company I work for was clever when it comes to IT but they ain't ><.

It's a very gray area for my company because we don't wanna p people and lose the customer to someone else even though its not our fault.

Has anyone setup a cloud based server just for this purpose and which provider do they use?

Thanks,
    Mike
    what is your company name ?