Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SMB scanning with Windows 10 issue

Hi all.

I sell Kyocera, and I usually set up SMB scan when the customer wants scanning. Most times it works fine, a few times Kaspersky or McAfee blocks it but can get around that. It seems lately I'm having more problems with 2101 errors on Windows 10. I had two just today, one with a KM-4050 and one with an M2035mfp. Both are using Windows 10 (I don't know what version, but I will find that out. Honestly, I didn't know there were different versions until this forum. I still use Win 7 on my shop computer. I'm not an IT guy, just a small two man shop who needs to connect these basically on my own. 90% of the time I can get it working. In reading these posts, there are some things I don't fully understand, and hopefully can get some info from those more knowledgeable than I.

Here's what I've done: I've created a folder on the root of "C" drive, shared it with everyone and changed to Read/Write. Made sure user name and password were correct, checked on "Turn on or off Windows Features" and made sure SMB boxes were all checked. Tried both host name and IP address, and as far as I know, any firewall is turned off (one doesn't have one except windows firewall, and the other I definitely shut off), and always get a 2101 error.

I did not check DNS settings (I didn't think about it, but I thought that only mattered with host name). I don't know if port 139 or 445 is on, I don't know how to check that. The KM-4050 uses port 139 and the M2035 uses port 445.

Both the 4050 and M2035 are currently being used for scanning by 4 or 5 other computers (I believe all windows 7 or 8), both locations just want to add an additional computer and user.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks! Jeff M.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: SMB scanning with Windows 10 issue

You may want to read this thread:
    Kyocera TA-8001i scan to smb error 2101
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff M. View Post
    Hi all.

I sell Kyocera, and I usually set up SMB scan when the customer wants scanning. Most times it works fine, a few times Kaspersky or McAfee blocks it but can get around that. It seems lately I'm having more problems with 2101 errors on Windows 10. I had two just today, one with a KM-4050 and one with an M2035mfp. Both are using Windows 10 (I don't know what version, but I will find that out. Honestly, I didn't know there were different versions until this forum. I still use Win 7 on my shop computer. I'm not an IT guy, just a small two man shop who needs to connect these basically on my own. 90% of the time I can get it working. In reading these posts, there are some things I don't fully understand, and hopefully can get some info from those more knowledgeable than I.

Here's what I've done: I've created a folder on the root of "C" drive, shared it with everyone and changed to Read/Write. Made sure user name and password were correct, checked on "Turn on or off Windows Features" and made sure SMB boxes were all checked. Tried both host name and IP address, and as far as I know, any firewall is turned off (one doesn't have one except windows firewall, and the other I definitely shut off), and always get a 2101 error.

I did not check DNS settings (I didn't think about it, but I thought that only mattered with host name). I don't know if port 139 or 445 is on, I don't know how to check that. The KM-4050 uses port 139 and the M2035 uses port 445.

Both the 4050 and M2035 are currently being used for scanning by 4 or 5 other computers (I believe all windows 7 or 8), both locations just want to add an additional computer and user.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks! Jeff M.
    A 2101 error sounds like it can't find the share. Try this, go to another computer on the network hold down the windows key + R. The run box should open. Type \\hostipaddress\share
    Where the ip address is the computer where the folder is setup, and the share is the name of the shared folder. It may ask for credentials, but this is the easiest way to test your shared folder setup.

The username/password you used, was it an email/Microsoft account? I've had to setup a separate local user every time the customer is using an email/Microsoft account to access any shares on Win 10.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

Im not sure if those models will scan to SMB V2/3.

Use scan to FTP via filezilla server

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Use scan to FTP via filezilla server
    Filezilla is great and all but just for scanning it is a little robust

Try Quick and easy FTP server lite.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

FTP scan to a NAS(private cloud)... No additional Windows software required.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Hi all: Thanks for your replies. Well, I went back yesterday to continue with the M2035 issue, and... it was working! ??? I didn't reboot the computer after changing the SMB setting in the Windows features section. I'm sure it was rebooted since then, so could this have been a problem? I know sometimes it needs to be rebooted to save the changes, but I didn't see a notification that it had to. The user had gone for lunch and I didn't have his password, so I decided not to do it at the time.

I haven't gone back to the KM-4050 yet, no time today but possibly tomorrow (they're in no rush, because all of the other computers are working). I'm kind of hoping that one is working also, but if it is, I still don't know what the problem was. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.... Jeff M.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff M. View Post
    Hi all: Thanks for your replies. Well, I went back yesterday to continue with the M2035 issue, and... it was working! ??? I didn't reboot the computer after changing the SMB setting in the Windows features section. I'm sure it was rebooted since then, so could this have been a problem? I know sometimes it needs to be rebooted to save the changes, but I didn't see a notification that it had to. The user had gone for lunch and I didn't have his password, so I decided not to do it at the time.

I haven't gone back to the KM-4050 yet, no time today but possibly tomorrow (they're in no rush, because all of the other computers are working). I'm kind of hoping that one is working also, but if it is, I still don't know what the problem was. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.... Jeff M.
    Yes, you have to reboot/restart the Kyocera MFP's after making changes otherwise the network will not recognize the change. The M2035 has SMB2 capabilities but I do not think the 4050 does so you may have to set that one up on FTP.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Another thing you should look into is whether or not your IPv4 adapter is set for "NetBIOS over TCP/IP". Newer computers default to NetBIOS over DHCP, and SMB doesn't play well with that.

Network Adapters> Properties> IPv4> Properties>Advanced Button>WINS Tab.